Sympathy gift ideas are a good way to ease the pain of loss that can occur at the loss of a loved one or beloved pet. It is a very sensitive time and care must be taken when purchasing a sympathy gift due to the pain that is involved in these situations.
Given the right way, and with the right intention, sympathy gifts can be soothing and give the recipient a way to start healing as well as remembering a special person or pet in a special way.
Remember that there is no easy way to handle grief and sometimes it is hard to know what to say. The right sympathy gift can take the place of the word you may not know how to say. Sympathy gifts are a private occasion and it is better to give them privately, one on one if possible or even to send them rather than in a group.
It is also important to note that your sympathy gift may cause there to be tears on the part of the recipient but that is perfectly normal.
Use compassion and consideration when choosing these types of gifts and also offer to be there if they need a shoulder or ear. Sometimes, that can be even more important than just a compassionate gift alone.
Willow Tree Remembrance Angel (Lighter Skin), Sculpted Hand-Painted Figure
5 used from $18.95
Customers love the care and love that these figurines are created with. This is a wonderful way to remember someone special.
This elegant angel figurine is a beautiful sculpture that makes a beautiful sympathy gift for anyone that has experienced a loss. This figurine is hand carved in the USA and measures 5” tall.
If you know someone close to you that has experienced the loss of a pregnancy or loved one, this is a beautiful item that they can look at and feel comfort and healing beginning.
The simple yet beautiful design of the angel is a perfect way to express your sorrow at their loss. It comes in a gift box with an enclosure card as well.
Pavilion Gift Company 19093 Forever in My Heart Terra Cotta Candle Holder, 4-Inch , White
Customers love the simple and elegant way to honor the memory of someone dear.
This touching candle holder is a heartfelt way to honor a loved one that is gone. The round shape and sentimental saying on the outside is just what the heart needs to start finding healing while honoring the memory of the special loved one.
On the side of the candle holder is the phrase “Gone yet not forgotten, although we are apart your spirit lives within me forever in my heart.“
Tea lights are the perfect candle for this holder and are not included with the holder. A beautiful way to think of loved ones. This item comes in an attractive gift box, ready to give.
Up Words by Pavilion Teal Tea Light Candle Holder, Serenity Sentiment, 5-1/2-Inch Tall, Includes Tea Light Candle
$9.03 in stock
Customers love the elegant trio of stacked candle holders that coordinate with each other in a beautiful way.
This unique and beautiful tea light candle holder is a wonderful way to honor the memory of someone special or help soothe someone through a bad breakup or divorce as well.
The beautiful stacked design has a trio of coordinating candle holders that are the perfect size for tea lights. They are stacked on top of one another.
Crushed mosaic on the bottom, hand painted cracked glass and other designs are incorporated into each trio of tea light holders. The uplifting and soothing messages on the side are meant to soothe and inspire.
Choosing the Right Sympathy Gift
Sympathy gifts are not gifts that people think of to send very often, not due to not being compassionate but because many worry that it makes things harder by “reminding” the person of a sad time. There is another way to look at this that may help you understand what purchasing a sympathy gift can provide for someone grieving.
Giving someone special a sympathy gift when they have experienced a loss of a loved one or beloved pet is a way to help them start healing and also provides them with something to remember and/or hoor the special person or animal in their life that they have lost.
We have provided some tips that you should keep in mind when it comes to purchasing a sympathy gift for someone in your life. These tips will make choosing the right gift and knowing how to present it to them much easier.
Dos and Don’ts to Remember
- Remember that loss is a very emotional time. There are no perfect words to say or the absolute perfect gift. Loss is hard to deal with no matter when it happens. A thoughtfully chosen sympathy gift is not going to take away the pain but what it can do is give the person something tangible to look at and hold onto during this difficult time.
- Look for sympathy gifts that are appropriate for the situation. If the person is having a hard time because of a divorce, that would warrant a very different sympathy gift than someone who had lost a baby. Look for gifts that match what they are going through and that help with those situations.
- Be prepared for there to be a lot of emotion when giving your sympathy gift to the intended recipient. This is an emotional time, so understand that there may be tears when they see what you have presented to them. It’s okay that they cry…this can be very healing and allows them to not bottle things up inside.
- Remember that it is just as important, if not more so, to offer your time along with the sympathy gift you have picked out. Sometimes it is just knowing that they are not alone that helps them through the process.
- Be afraid to offer your condolences to someone that has experienced a loss. There are some great sympathy gifts available that can be a soothing reminder that even though they are hurting, there are people around that love and support them.
- Avoid a friend of family member that has experienced a loss of some kind. Because people often don’t know what to do, it feels easier to avoid them than risk not knowing what to say. Giving them a beautiful sympathy gift that says it for you is one way to offer your support without feeling like you have to come up with something witty to say that will make them feel better.
- Try to “fix” things. Grief is a natural part of loss and although it doesn’t feel good, it is a process that most people go through when they go through loss whether that loss is a spouse, child, parent, friend or even a pet. Many people consider their pets, family, and losing a beloved dog or cat can be horrible and difficult to get over. Offering a sympathy gift that gives them a way to honor their loved one or pet really does start the healing process.
Choosing the right sympathy gift is not difficult if you don’t set unrealistic expectations on the gift you are giving. The person you give it to may even cry when they open it. Don’t feel guilty for that, it is a natural reaction. If the person going through a crisis is a close friend or family member, remember to offer them an ear or shoulder if they need it. You can also offer to go to a movie, or even have them stay with you for a couple of days while things are settling down. Knowing they are not by themselves having to work through this is the best gift of all.