The popular Futon started out in Japan as simply a mattress that could be easily rolled up and put in storage during the daytime. Nowadays, futons have wood, metal, and even upholstered frames that the mattresses fit on and are used in dorm rooms, kids’ bedrooms, dens, and even in some living rooms. One of the best things about futons is the extra sleeping space they offer without taking up space.
Most Comfortable Futons Reviews
Putting a futon in a dorm room allows that student to have a couch to sit on during the day and with a simple pull or push, it converts to a bed at night. Futons are available in a huge variety of sizes, styles, colors, and materials. There are so many choices that sorting through them all could be a problem if you don’t know what features are the most important and what to look for when you’re researching.
We have provided you with several tools below that will help you sort through all the options and choose a futon that will fit your specific needs and preferences perfectly. After researching the many different styles on the market we have compiled a list of the top rated futons on the market that are very popular with consumers.
You will also be able to read detailed reviews of the top five from this great list as well as use the buying guide to gain all the knowledge you need to spend your money on a futon you’re going to love.
1. DHP Emily
5/5 Product Rating
DHP brings consumers The Emily Futon; an appealing combination of modern with a low-profile design. The chrome legs are perfect for those who have a more modern décor in their home.
The split back design allows two people to adjust the back to their personal preference. You can lay both sides down flat for sleeping as well.
The upholstery is tufted, adding classic style and comes in faux leather.
The Emily futon is easy to put together and comes in a single box with everything you need to assemble it. When folded up the futon measures 71”W x 34”D x 32”H. The sleeping dimensions when the bed is flat are 71″L x 43″W x 16”H.
Keeping your futon clean is very easy and can be accomplished by just wiping it clean. You can choose from a selection of seven different colors to match any color scheme.
– Sarah Lytle
2. DHP Lodge
4.9/5 Product Rating
Another DHP favorite is the convertible futon that is the perfect size for smaller rooms and spaces in your home or apartment.
The contemporary style gives a sophisticated yet relaxed look that is appealing to many consumers.
The microfiber upholstery is super lush and comfortable. The tufted upholstery and extra padded seating makes it the perfect piece of furniture for any room.
This futon has a multi-position back that allows it to be converted from a couch or chaise to a bed easily. The space-saving design makes it great for tighter spaces. You will find this futon very easy to assemble and requires no tools.
Everything you need to put it together, including instructions is in the box. The measurements of the DHP convertible futon is 71 ½”L x 35”W x 32”H with sleeping dimensions of 39″ W x 71.5″L x 14.5” H. Choose from 4 different colors to match your existing décor.
– Sarah Lytle
4.7/5 Product Rating
This fun modern futon from Mozaic Furniture is available in eleven bright colors making it the perfect choice for a kid’s room, college dorm, bonus room or even an office to provide extra sitting and sleeping space as well as a touch of bright color.
The soft cotton fabric feels great to the touch and contains hypoallergenic fill for the ultimate in comfort while sitting or sleeping.
The split back design allows for two people to adjust their side in whatever way suits them best. This Modern style futon measures 75″W x 54″D x 10″H with sleeping dimensions of 70” x 40”.
– Sarah Lytle
4.5/5 Product Rating
The Brittany futon sofa features beautiful and stylish linen upholstery that cleans easily with a cloth. The wood construction of the frame is sturdy and durable making it a great choice for a college dorm or teen’s room.
The cushioned back has tufted and ribbed design that is filled with foam and polyester fill for maximum comfort when sitting or sleeping.
The wooden legs are slanted and oak colored and can handle a weight of up to 600 pounds. This stylish futon is easy to assemble and arrives to your home in one convenient box. The elegance this design provides also makes this a good choice for an office, den, or guest room and features elements such as slanted legs and curved armrests.
The sleep dimensions of this futon are 70.5 L x 43.5 W x 16 H. Consumers can choose from five different colors to coordinate with their current color scheme.
– Sarah Lytle
5. Modern Entertainment
4.4/5 Product Rating
Best Choice Products brings this modern and comfortable futon made from PU leather with chrome legs to consumers who are looking for a stylish way to add additional seating and sleeping space to their home.
The fold down middle armrest has two cup holders; great for movie or TV watching, and the tufted upholstered PU leather looks great in any room in the house.
This is the perfect piece of furniture for a studio apartment, dorm room, or teen’s bedroom and also works great for adding seating space to an office due to the chrome style legs which gives it an executive air. The base of the futon has a zipper compartment which can store legs and hardware.
The detachable armrests make it easy to convert into sleeping space and the reclining back creates a comfortable place to watch your favorite shows. This futon measures 66”L x 30 ½”W x 30”D.
Sleeping dimensions are 38.5″L x 66″W x 13″H and has a weight limit of up to 500 pounds. This futon is only available in black PU leather.
– Sarah Lytle
There are so many different style choices available when it comes to today’s futon. Wood frames, metal frames, upholstered frames, split back designs, and a multitude of color choices and upholstery choices as well.
The top-rated futons we have featured in the five detailed reviews and top ten chart are all excellent pieces of furniture that will not only add sleeping and seating space to your home they will add style, elegance, and fun too. Futons are much easier to use than sofa sleepers and fit better in smaller rooms or spaces.
Take a look at the buying guide we have created below to learn a lot more about this popular piece of furniture and get the knowledge you need to sort through all these choices in an organized, simple manner. This information will make research and choosing much simpler so you can be confident in your choice.
Most Comfortable Futon Buying Guide
Any time you make a furniture purchase it is best to take a few minutes and figure out exactly what your needs are. These needs will determine the best style, frame, cover style, and cost for you. There are several things to think about before you purchase a futon. Answer these questions before you begin your search:
- Is the futon for extra seating, extra sleeping space or both? – Some futons are better used as sofas than beds. If you are only going to have guests sleep on it occasionally, it may not be as important to look for a high quality, expensive mattress. If you will be using it a lot for both sitting and sleeping, it benefits you to spend the money on the best futon you can afford.
- Where will the futon be placed? – Are you looking for something that will stand up to the wear and tear a teen or college student puts on furniture or will it be in an office for occasional seating and/or naps in the office? Where you are putting your futon will help you decide on just the right style that will fit in with your current décor.
- What other furniture is in the room? – You don’t want your futon to stick out like a sore thumb so take into consideration the other furnishings in the home and what the overall design theme is and match accordingly unless you want to redesign the style of the room.
- Will the futon be the focal point of the room? – If you will be designing the room around the futon you will want to look for designs that are heartier and more noticeable. You will also want to ensure that you spend the money on a futon that will be really comfortable for your friends and family who may be using it.
Keep These Considerations in Your Mind When Shopping
The following points will help you choose the right futon for your space. A futon is a large piece of furniture so you want to be careful to choose correctly the first time so you don’t have to struggle with returning a large, heavy box.
- Measure the space – It is important to measure the space you will be putting your futon correctly so you choose a style that will fit the space you have to work with. One way to do that is to tape off the outline or shadow of the new futon and where it will go so you can see how much room it actually takes up. The frame that the futon has will also play a big factor in how much room you will need so don’t forget to include that in the taped off portion.
- What else is in the room? – If you are going to use the futon regularly as a bed it is very important that you look at what else is in the room. The futon will take up more space when it is flat and you don’t want to have to move around a bunch of furniture every time it is laid flat to go to sleep at night.
- The Mattress is important – A beautiful frame means nothing if the mattress is thin and uncomfortable. Pay attention to the thickness of the mattress that comes with the futon and read customer comments and reviews about the quality of the mattress from others who have purchased it and used it.
- Easy operation – If you are going to use the futon as a seat and a bed on a regular basis look for models that are easy to lay flat and bring back to a seated position. If you have to battle the futon every time you want to use it you will become frustrated very quickly.
- What size do you need? – Futons come in twin, full and queen sizes. King-sized futons are not as common but if you need that size, they can be found. Who will be sleeping on it plays a big part of determining what size you need. A younger child will be fine on a twin but a teen will more than likely need a full or queen to be comfortable.
- Material for the upholstery – Futon mattresses come in a variety of materials from PU leather to microfiber to linen. Keep in mind who will be using it and where it will be set up when you are looking at different upholstery. For kids or teens, look for material that can be cleaned easily.
Common Futon Terminology
The words below are common futon terms that will be helpful for you during your research. Knowing these words will ensure that you understand the descriptions you will be reading about each futon.
- Slat Rack – Slat racks are the platforms that the futon rests on in both stationary platform futons and convertible sofa-bed styles.
- Conversion – This is the process of being converted from a futon that is in the seated position to one that is ready to be slept on.
- Back Rest – The slat rack that makes up the back of the futon when it is in the upright position is called the back rest. This back rest becomes part of the bed when it is laid flat.
- Seat Rack- The slat rack that makes up the seat of the futon when it is in the upright position is called a seat rack. The seat rack also becomes part of the bed when it is flat.
- Kicker – The kicker is a part of the futon that is wedged between the back rest and the seat rack and allows the futon to smoothly go from seated to sleeping position.
- Bi-Fold – A bi-fold convertible futon has two slat racks. The mattress will be folded in half on a bi-fold futon.
- Tri-Fold – A tri-fold convertible futon has three slat racks. The mattress typically hangs over the back of the entire frame and folds under itself on the seat rack or it can lay flat. The mattress will be folded three times on a tri-fold futon.
- Wall Hugger – When a futon is called a wall hugger this means that it can be opened to the sleeping position without having to be moved away from the wall first. This is a very good design for smaller spaces.
Common Futon Frame Materials
Futon frames are made from a variety of materials. Choosing the right style comes down to personal preference mostly and doesn’t affect the futon much except in terms of space and size.
- Wood – Wood framed futons are very popular and common. They are very versatile when it comes to décor and have a variety of styles that appeal to many different types of consumers. They are typically durable and study, especially the higher end wood framed futons. You might pay more but if you make sure the futon is made from solid wood such as oak, pine, cherry, and others, you will have a piece of furniture that will last decades.
- Metal – Metal futons are lighter in weight, easier to move and make great beds and couches for dorm rooms. They can also have unique shapes. Metal futons are not as ornate or fancy as wood futons but they can still be attractive and stylish. Do not purchase inexpensive metal frames or you will just end up having to purchase another one soon.
- Upholstered – Upholstered futons are more elegant in design and are typically not used in dorms, kids’ rooms but are often seen in offices, dens, and guest rooms due to their fancier style. They have a look very similar to an actual sofa but still have the functionality of a futon.
Futons have changed a lot of the last several years. What used to be just a way to furnish a dorm room or basement with an easy bed has now progressed to much fancier styles and possibilities. With all of the new designs that futons can have, you can decorate living rooms, dens, and guest rooms and feel really proud of the style and look it adds to the room.
The information we have provided in this guide and in the reviews above will help you sort through the multitude of futons that are available on the market so you can eliminate the ones that won’t work for your needs. The right knowledge, such as what we have given you here, will make finding and choosing the perfect futon simple and easy. The hardest part will be trying to decide which style you like best and what color to choose.
- DHP – https://www.dhpfurniture.com/eng/
- Divano Roma Furniture – https://www.divanofurniturems.com/
- Novogratz – https://www.shopthenovogratz.com/
- Best Choice Products – https://bestchoiceproducts.com/