We conducted over 42 hours of research in order to find the best garment steamer out there.
After analyzing over a dozen garment steamers we like the Jiffy Steamer J-2000 the best.
It has 1,300 watts of steaming power and lasts 1.5 hours per session.
Clothes Steamer Buying Guide
What is a Garment Steamer?
Owning a portable clothes steamer is a wonderful way to remove wrinkles and folds from your clothes, even while on the go. There are different kinds of portable steamers that can fit every budget and lifestyle, so you will be able to tailor your choice around your specific needs and concerns. With a little research you’ll find the absolute best and most perfect steamer for you.
- Floor Model: This is the original version of a garment steamer. It came from dress and tailor shops that created a handy tool to remove wrinkles from clothes needing to be put on display in shop windows.
- Compact Handheld Steamer: This is the second type of garment steamer that came to market. It’s and incredibly useful style for traveling because it’s portable enough to bring with you. This is a wonderful tool that allows you to de-wrinkle clothes as they come out of your luggage and is a popular solution for the businessman on the go.
- Steamer Tools: The third “kind” of garment steamer is actually the set of tools that come with a steam cleaner. These tools can change up your steamer to give you additional options for steaming.
Garment Steamer vs Traditional Flat Iron
Use of a garment steamer is quickly gaining in popularity as people realize that it flattens clothing faster and with more efficiency than a traditional iron. Also, you do not need to use an ironing board when you are steaming clothes. Not only that, but steaming doesn’t only rid your clothes of wrinkles but it also freshens and dusts your garments which makes them newer looking versus flat ironing.
- Portability: This type of garment steamer is incredibly lightweight and travels well in small suitcases. Even if you don’t purchase a portable version, the standing garment steamers are incredibly easy to move around the house because of their wheels and streamlined design.
- Multi-Purpose: Steamers are multi-purpose tools that allow you to steam all kinds of fabrics. This means that you can freshen many items in your home and are not only limited to clothes.
- No More Dry Cleaning: With a garment steamer, you no longer need to pay for dry cleaning because you can do all that work yourself. This saves a lot of money in the long-run.
- Easy to Use: It’s incredibly easy to use a garment steamer. All you need to do is add tap water into the reservoir and you’re ready to start steaming with the touch of a button.
- Economical and Effective: Steamers are generally economical and they truly work. Not only will you save time by using a garment steamer, but you’re also going to be saving yourself money.
Jiffy Steamer is the original creator of the garment steamer and the company was organized in 1940 when the Model J-1 hat steamer was first patented. Wearing hats was incredibly fashionable at the time with the most popular being the fedora. The method for shaping these hats was to place them over a steaming kettle of water and work them into place. The J-1 was created as a standalone device that could perform this same task in a more convenient way. This meant that people could steam hats without the need for a stove and the company got its name from the fact that hats could be steamed “in a jiffy”.
This same concept was eventually applied to the J-2 garment steamer, which was a larger version of the original but included a clothing rack. This product was designed for the clothing industry and became popular in the tailoring and retail sectors. This became a wonderful and effective way of removing wrinkles as quickly as possible. Today, Jiffy offers upgraded versions of the original, including the J-2000 and the J-4000 which provide industrial-strength steaming geared towards the commercial marketplace.
Recently the Esteam, a travel steamer, was introduced to provide all the benefits of a personal garment steamer while being more portable and easy to take on the go. Roughly the size of a medium sized thermos, the Esteam is quite popular among business travelers and those often on the go. Basically anyone who wants to remove wrinkles from clothing that has been packed away in their luggage during transit. The Esteam was also designed to have many different plug attachments that can work with diverse power sources in the US and Europe. It even plugs into a car AC outlet adapter.
How It Works
People are turning to garment steamers to get the wrinkles out of their clothes because they require less space and less skill to use than a traditional iron. They also quickly and effectively smooth out crumpled clothes in no time. There are many different kinds of garment steamers, but they all work based on the same principles. All you need to do is place water in the base. This water will heat up until it turns to steam. There is a long tube that is attached to the base and the steam travels up the tube, finally being released through the wide nozzle.
The user simply holds the nozzle up to the wrinkled areas and allows the steam to remove the wrinkles. There are several factors that determine how long it will take to completely iron a piece of clothing, such as the type of fabric and the type of steamer. But, no matter what, you can be sure that the process will be faster than traditional ironing. Even someone who has never used a steamer before will instantly be able to figure out how to operate it.
The simple process is what makes the steamer so easy to use and this basic process is also effective on many kinds of fabrics. Many people also like to use a garment steamer on mattresses as the steam can kill dust mites and remove undesired odors.
What Kind of Garment Steamer are You Looking For?
There are many kinds of steamers on the market and we mentioned some of the various portable versions, but which one is right for you? Ask yourself the following questions to help you to find the right model.
Will you be keeping the steamer at home?
If you’ve answered yes to this, then a standing garment steamer is the right choice for you. This is the most common steamer design and is the kind that you’ll find in most professional dry cleaning shops. They usually come with various attachments and settings which makes them incredibly diverse and multi-purpose in nature. If you’re looking to steam many different things in your home, and you never need to take the steamer with you, then you should definitely invest in a standing steamer made from durable materials.
Do you need to take your steamer on the go?
If you travel a lot for work or pleasure and want to keep your clothes in peak condition, then you definitely want to look for a high quality travel garment steamer. It can be quite expensive to always get your clothes pressed and cleaned while staying in hotel rooms which is why owning a travel steamer can save you both time and money. This type of steamer is small enough to comfortably fit into any suitcase or overnight travel case. There are various designs and styles to choose from, but all of them basically come with a nozzle that directly attaches to a water well. The steam is released directly from the body to the nozzle without use of a tube. Keep in mind that because there’s a smaller water well, it’s going to require refilling more often. However, if you’re constantly on the go, then this is the type of steamer for you.
Do you have a small apartment and a modest budget?
If you live in a small space, and you don’t want to spend a lot on a garment steamer, then you should opt for a handheld garment steamer. This kind of steamer is basically a hybrid between a standing and a travel steamer. It’s smaller in size than a traditional standing steamer and is great for those who live in small apartments. A handheld steamer functions similarly to a travel steamer but they have larger water wells and more powerful mechanisms, making them just as efficient as standing models but without the extra size.
Advantages to Owning
Did you think that there were no added advantages to owning a garment steamer? Well, you’re wrong. In fact, there are so many benefits to investing in and using one of these devices that you’re going to start giving them away as gifts. Even if you’re not a fashionista with a lot of fancy clothing, you’re still going to love the advantages of owning your own personal garment steamer.
- No Need for Chemicals: Using a garment steamer means that you’re cleaning and de-wrinkling without the need for any cleaning chemicals. That means that you’re getting the job done by using water, perhaps the most gentle cleaning agent in the world. Even though the method is so simple, it still effectively cleans all your fabrics in less time and for far less money.
- Reduces Wear and Tear: Did you know that when you constantly wash your fabrics you are wreaking havoc on them? Constant washing can reduce the life of the garment but steaming does not have this effect at all. This means that your garments are going to last longer and stay fresher.
- Easily Restore Specialty Fabrics: There are some types of fabric that wrinkle quite easily but can become damaged if someone tries to iron them. Take for example chiffon and organza, which are exquisite materials that are often used in gowns and wedding attire. However, both of these are so delicate that they would be ruined by ironing. Also, packing these garments away will cause them to wrinkle quite quickly. A garment steamer can effectively de-wrinkle these materials without causing any damage to the fibers. Steamers can also loosen fibers and restore the shape to sweaters, knitwear, and vests.
Where to Purchase
Buying a garment steamer is a wonderful investment, especially for those who love their clothes and want to take great care of them. They save you time and money and it’s easy to find the right steamer for you online. Some models can be pricey which is why an online search will help you to compare different models and find one that suits your budget and needs. There are countless sites that sell steamers, so a basic search engine search will help you explore what is out there.
When searching online, be sure to type in the specifics of what you’re looking for, such as “portable garment steamer affordable”, or “standing garment steamer professional”. When you input the specifics, then you’ll get the results that you’re looking for. Do be sure to read all the reviews as you can get some very valuable information from them. Look for sites that offer special deals or free shipping, as these steamers can be large in size and are sometimes a bit expensive to ship.
Gone are the days when people tediously ironed their garments to eliminate wrinkles and make their clothing look fresh and new. With today’s technology, it’s possible to have wrinkle-free clothes in the comfort of your own home without laboriously ironing and potentially damaging your clothes. Steaming used to be one of the best kept secrets in the fashion and garment industry, yet now this amazing tool is available for all. These remarkable devices operate on the simple method of heating water until it turns to steam, then letting this steam gently and effectively eliminate wrinkles from all kinds of fabrics.
There are many models and brands of garment steamer to choose from, but there are three main types that were mentioned above: the standing steamer, the travel steamer, and the handheld steamer. Each of these models offers different benefits for different users. All of these are quite efficient, reduce wear and tear on clothes, restore specialty and delicate fabrics, and will save you a lot of money in dry cleaning bills. There are some amazing deals online that also help you to save money when you’re purchasing a garment steamer.
It is said that clothes make the man, or woman. If you’re someone who loves elegant clothing, and you want an easy and efficient way to maintain them, then there’s no better choice than purchasing a garment steamer. If you’re someone who spends a lot of money on clothes, then it’s time to start saving money by maintaining those clothes with the help of a garment steamer. Even the finest clothes can look shabby if they’re wrinkled, so be sure to keep them in peak condition for the ultimate effect.
No one wants to wait days to pick up their favorite clothes at the dry cleaners, and that’s why owning a steamer provides you with the ultimate in convenience. And, with the latest portable models, you can take this convenience with you on the go. Keep your linens refreshed, and you’re sure to add that extra bit of class and distinction to your garments and home upholstery.