The best zinc supplement has an enteric coating to prevent the supplement from getting destroyed by stomach acids and is GMP project certified. Our pick, ZMA, is a whole food based supplement that provides the body with the right amount of zinc to help improve many body systems. We loved how easy it was to take and the fact that it had organic vegetables in the ingredients list rather than chemicals.
Zinc Supplement Buying Guide
There are several signs that may be present if you are experiencing a zinc deficiency. We have listed these below so you can recognize a possible problem and take action to get the additional zinc your body needs.
- Weight gain or loss
- Changes in appetite including specific cravings
- Hair loss
- Poor concentration
- Poor memory
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Digestive problems
- Slow healing wounds or skin irritation
Top Health Benefits of Zinc
There are many benefits to taking a Zinc supplement. It is often taken over the counter to help with fighting colds but it has a bunch of other benefits as well. Take a look at the different benefits you can look forward to by adding the right amount of zinc to your system through a quality supplement.
- Strengthens Immunity – Zinc is a common supplement to take to help fight colds and the flu. When you take the supplement for at least 5 months, zinc has been shown to reduce the frequency of illness from colds and flu. If you’re already sick when you start taking it, it can speed the healing process so you are not sick for as long.
- Can Help Fight Cancer – The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties fight oxidative stress and reduces the chance for diseases developing including cancer. These benefits are particularly noticeable in elderly patients where zinc can be used to prevent tumor growth and cancerous cell mutation.
- Hormone Balancing – zinc has a lot of roles when it comes to the hormones and reproductive organs. It increases testosterone and is involved the creation and release of eggs from the ovaries. Zinc is an important factor in producing the right amounts of progesterone and estrogen in women. Estrogen levels, either too low or high can cause infertility, early menopause, mood swings, and monthly cycle issues. Zinc helps stabilize these levels to reduce and eliminate those problems.
- Supports Blood Vessels – Zinc is a crucial element in maintaining healthy cells and lowers inflammation as well. The addition of Zinc to your daily routine supports proper circulation and works as a natural cure for high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels from arteries that are damaged or clogged.
- Increases Fertility – Zinc impacts both men and women’s fertility health. It modulates serum testosterone levels and when deficient can cause a significant drop in these concentrations which affects both sex drive and fertility. Zinc affect women’s fertility by helping the eggs grow properly so ovulation is not affected negatively.
- Helps the Body Digest Properly and Absorb Nutrients – Being deficient in Zinc can cause you to have very low energy levels and can also cause chronic fatigue. Having the right amount of zinc in your system provides you with ongoing energy and a healthy metabolism to boot.
- Healthy Liver – Zinc supplements have been shown to reduce infections and inflammation in the lover. It also reduces free radical damage and helps with functions like waste elimination and the absorption of important nutrients.
- Muscle Recovery and Growth – There are several things that zinc plays a part in when it comes to the body healing itself. It helps muscle mass growth due to increasing the testosterone levels in the body that follows any type of exercising. This is especially true for strength training workouts and high intensity interval training. Zinc accomplishes this because it converts andostenedione into testosterone.
What to Look for in a Zinc Supplement
There are several things that you want to look at and consider when you are researching different brands of Zinc. These considerations and factors will help you choose the perfect zinc supplement for your needs.
- Look for supplements with no preservatives, chemicals or additives
- Look for zinc supplements that have an enteric coating on them. This helps to maintain the effectiveness of the supplement and makes certain that the supplement is distributed to the appropriate body systems evenly. The coating prevents the zinc from being destroyed by acids in the stomach. Without the coating, 90% of the supplement will be ruined and excreted by the body eliminating the positive benefits it would normally provide.
- The GMP compliant seal is an important one. This ensures that the supplement was not manufactured with questionable practices.
- The form of zinc, gluconate, sulfate or acetate, that you choose is not relevant as all three do basically the same thing and none of them are more superior than the other.
- Look for zinc that is in the form you prefer. It can be created in capsules, tablets, liquid, powder, and others as well. If you hate swallowing pills, consider the liquid sublingual drops that go under the tongue.
- Look at the reputation of the companies that are manufacturing the different zinc supplements you are considering. You always want to choose a supplement from one of the heavy hitters in the industry. Choosing a supplement that comes from a top company will ensure the high quality you are looking for.
- If you have trouble with stomach sensitivity, look for supplements that have addressed this and that state that they are easily digestible. This will help reduce the chances of stomach upset when you take them. If the supplement states that you can take it any time of day or night, this is a good indication that it will be easy on the stomach since you don’t have to take it with food.
- Don’t go for the cheapest supplement you can find. That may sound odd as most people want to find a deal when they can, but when it comes to supplements of any kind, including zinc, buying cheap will almost always mean lower quality.
- Order supplements online rather than purchasing them in a grocery store. There is a difference in the quality of the supplements that are sold in grocery stores and the ones you purchase online. The online varieties are better quality and from better companies as well.
- Look for companies that stand behind their zinc supplements with a guarantee of some kind. 30-90 day guarantees are great because they give you a chance to actually get and use the product for a few weeks.
Zinc is an important supplement that often gets overlooked in the lineup unless you are specifically watching for it. Knowing that there are deficiencies of zinc in your body is important because you can’t fix what you don’t know about. Knowing the deficiency is there allows you to purchase a quality supplement that will remedy the situation and get you back on the path to good health.
The three top zinc supplements featured in this guide provide you with a choice of supplements that encompass a few different forms such as a capsule form and a liquid form that can be dropped under the tongue. If you want to do some more searching, use the information and guidelines in this buyer’s guide to sort through all of the choices on the market so you can choose one that will meet your needs, preferences and budget if you have set one.
This information can provide a sense of confidence when you are researching that will enable you to make an informed decision without worrying if you are choosing the wrong supplement.
- MegaFood – https://megafood.com/
- Wellness One – http://www.wellnessoneway.com/
- PacificCoast Nutrilabs – http://pacificcoastnutrilabs.com/