Vitamin K Supplement Reviews
Vitamin K will automatically transport calcium from the body to the injury and cause the blood to clot (and stop bleeding) it can also reduce internal bleeding in the liver and jaundice. Many pregnant women take vitamin K to stop suffering from nausea. It takes about 72 hours to work, but it does work.
Another benefit of Vitamin K is that if a woman is suffering from extremely heavy periods, taking this supplement can reduce the outflow of blood and can even reduce menstrual pain. The supplements listed below are great ways to get Vitamin K into your system for the benefits it provides.
1. Life Extension
Best Overall Vitamin K Supplement
5/5 Product Rating
People who take this supplement can rest assured that they are receiving not only the right amount of vitamin K2, but the best form of it as well.
There have been a lot of studies done on this vitamin and the benefits it provides. With Life Extension, all you need to do is take 1 softgel each day and you will be doing something positive for your own health and well being.
This product is taken to help with removing calcium from the arteries and protects people from heart failure and other artery related issues.
– Linda Krantz
Best Overall Vitamin K Supplement – Runner Up
4.8/5 Product Rating
This makes absorption better. It has been clinically proven to have superior bioavailability and has enhanced stability too.
It is completely free of solvents, GMOs, artificial ingredients, and preservatives. The mini pills are vegetarian capsules filled with liquid and are easy to swallow and digest. This excellent supplement is made in the USA in GMP certified and NSF approved facilities.
The only other ingredients in Vitamin K2 MK-7 by Nutrigold is Organic Olive Oil for better absorption, Organic Sunflower Lecithin, and the vegetarian capsule; all of which are Non-GMO. It is also certified free of milk, eggs, soy protein, peanuts, shellfish, wheat and gluten. Even though Natto is fermented soy, the soy protein has been removed. It’s hard to find a better source of Vitamin K2 on the market than this one.
– Linda Krantz
3. Sports Research
Best Budget Vitamin K Supplement
4.5/5 Product Rating
Super MK-7 Vitamin K2 is the ONLY vegetarian and vegan safe Vitamin K2 supplement available which makes it the go to supplement for Vitamin K. There are 90 mcg of K2 per softgel and the softgels are vegetable based.
Sports Research is the only place you can get a veggie softgel for vitamin K2. You can safely take this product regardless of your eating lifestyle.
There are no animal ingredients used in manufacturing at all. Taking this supplement can reduce arterial calcification and ensures that the calcium in your body goes where it should.
This vitamin K supplement is totally GMO free and made without artificial ingredients of any kind. It is also gluten free and has no preservatives or Stearates. It’s been packaged in the USA in a cGMP and NSF certified facilities. You also get a 100% money back guarantee.
– Linda Krantz
Studies have shown that almost every person has a deficiency in vitamin K. The majority of people get vitamin K from the foods they eat that is enough to provide sufficient blood clotting but there is a host of other benefits that the proper amount of vitamin K can provide.
There are many reasons to make sure that you consume the right amount of vitamin K. The three top rated choices we have reviewed above are all premium forms of vitamin K from reputable companies that can give you what you need to reap the benefits.
To learn about the reasons vitamin K is so important and how to choose the right supplement for your needs, read our buyer’s guide below. It has everything you need to know about this valuable supplement so you can determine what your needs are and which supplement is the right one for you.
7. Doctor’s Best
9. Full Spectrum
10. Best Naturals
Vitamin K Supplement Buying Guide
Is Vitamin K for You?
There are certain factors that can be present that would indicate that adding a vitamin K supplement to your diet would be beneficial. If you have a family history of heart disease or osteoporosis, adding vitamin K to your daily routine can have extremely positive effects.
The vitamin K prevents the blood vessels from calcifying. Another reason vitamin K may be for you is if you don’t eat a lot of vegetables. Today’s society is full of fast food restaurants and processed foods making vegetables a thing of the past. For this reason, vitamin K can go a long way toward making up for this lack.
Vitamin K is NOT for You If…
Vitamin K2 supplements should not be taken unless recommended and monitored by your doctor is you are pregnant or nursing. Another reason not to take vitamin K is if you have suffered cardiac arrest or stroke in the past or you are prone to blood clots. Your doctor should be consulted before adding this vitamin to your diet in all circumstances. It is much safer to get the okay from them than to take a chance.
Types of Vitamin K
There are three types of vitamin K available: K1, K2, and K3. We have provided you with a little bit of information below on the different kinds and what they do for you.
- Vitamin K1 – Another name for vitamin K1 is phylloquinone is found in plants, especially green vegetables. When ingested, vitamin K1 goes right to your liver and helps to maintain normal and healthy blood clotting.
- Vitamin K2 – This form of K2 is also called menaquinone. The bacteria that line your gastrointestinal tract make up this form of vitamin K. K2 is used by the blood vessel walls, tissues and bones except for your liver.
- Vitamin K3 – Also known as menadione, this synthetic form of vitamin K is not really recommended. There have been reports of toxicity that has occurred in babies that have been given synthetic K3 through injection and it can cause problems for adults as well.
Vitamin K2 is the best form of vitamin K to take and is readily available in supplement form. This form of K is all natural and even at 500 times the recommended daily amount it does not become toxic. Vitamin K2 is produced by fermented foods and is made in your body as well. Of course getting the right amounts of vitamin K2 through the foods you eat is the optimal way but this rarely happens. This is why a good quality supplement is so important. It can help you get what you need in a simple way.
Taking the Right Dosage
Dosage amounts of vitamin K2 can vary per person and you should get that dosage information from your doctor. It usually ranges between 45 micrograms and 185 micrograms each day for adults. If you are on anticoagulants you need to be very careful taking the higher range of that dosage.
Most people that are not taking anticoagulants and that are healthy in general usually take about 150 micrograms a day but this should be determined for you by a healthcare professional if there is any question as to the right amount for your specific health needs.
Benefits of Vitamin K
There are many benefits that a person can receive from taking a good quality supplement. We have listed these below.
- Protection for your heart – One of the things that vitamin K2 does is to prevent hardening of the arteries. This is a common problem for people with heart failure. Studies have shown that adding vitamin K2 helps to keep calcium out of the lining of the arteries and other tissues where it can cause damage. Vitamin K2 and vitamin D taken together prevents calcification in the coronary arteries. This can prevent cardiovascular disease as well.
- Reduces the Chance of Osteoporosis – One of the most nutrients you can take to improve bone density is vitamin K2. There have been amazing studies done that show the incredible benefits K2 brings to the table when it comes to battling osteoporosis. Many Japanese trials have found that it can completely reverse bone lose and even increase the bone bass in people that already have osteoporosis. There is also studies that show that vitamin K2 provides 60% less vertebral fractures and 80% less non-vertebral fractures and hip fractures.
- Helps Prevent Cancer – Vitamin K1 and K2 have both been shown to be effective against cancer. Different studies have shown results with tumors and cancer cells and are mostly beneficial in fighting colon, oral, and stomach cancers as well as non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Other Benefits – In addition to the important benefits listed above, vitamin K2 can possibly help prevent Alzheimer’s disease and improves insulin sensitivity. Even topical vitamin K2 can reduce bruising.
Vitamin K is a supplement that you probably haven’t given much thought to but as you can see from the information we have provided above, the benefits that you can get from taking it are very significant. A good quality K2 can improve your bone health and heart health as well.
The three top rated vitamin K supplements above all contain K2, the best form of vitamin K in regards to its benefits to your health. The companies are all well known for producing the kind of product you want to purchase.
Remember when you are researching the different types of vitamin K on the market to watch out for the supplements that contain excessive additives, artificial colors, artificial flavors, or fillers. You also want to purchase from reputable manufacturers like the ones that produced the three top choices we have provided for you.
You also want to look for seals of approval or certifications that will show you the purity and quality of the product you are considering. You can learn a lot from reading the labels of the supplements that are on the market. Ensuring that they have the appropriate levels of vitamin K2 that you are supplementing will ensure that you get the full benefits that come with having the right amounts of vitamin K in your system.
- Sports Research – http://www.sportsresearch.com/
- Life Extension – http://www.lifeextension.com/
- Nutrigold – http://www.nutrigold.com/vitamins/