Veggie Peeler Reviews
Veggie peelers are used for many different tasks in professional and home kitchens every day. They are simple tools that do a lot of work. Veggie peelers are used to take the skin off of various items such as vegetables and fruits. The peeler does not damage the flesh of the fruit or vegetable underneath.
There are many different styles and types of veggie peelers on the market today. Finding the right one for your kitchen doesn’t have to be a difficult job. There are things you can look for when sorting through all of the different varieties that can ensure that the veggie peeler you choose is one that will meet your needs and be a help to you in your kitchen.
We will help you understand the differences between the different veggie peelers and understand the features and characteristics of a good quality vegetable peeler. Our goal is to provide you with the right information that makes these choices much easier.
Best Overall Veggie Peeler
5/5 Product Rating
This UberChef Premium Ultra Sharp Stainless Steel Vegetable Peeler has the sharpest blade on the market that will shred and skin virtually anything.
It is dishwasher safe and easy to clean. The stainless steel that is used in construction is an attractive brushed metal that looks great in any kitchen.
This vegetable peeler is designed to peel all kinds of vegetables and fruits. Because it was designed by a professional chef, it works exceptionally well and will cut down your prep time.
It boasts a 4.9 out of 5 star rating and that is no surprise. Once you try this simple and elegantly designed veggie peeler you will not want anything else.
It is perfect for all of your vegetable peeling needs and is offered with a cleaning brush.
Uber stands behind their products and they offer a 100% lifetime guarantee with no risk. If you don’t completely love this veggie peeler and how it performs, return it for a full refund.
– Sarah Lytle
2. OXO Swivel
Best Overall Veggie Peeler – Runner Up
4.7/5 Product Rating
This better functioning, comfortable alternative to the old fashioned metal peeler from the 50s and 60s is a popular addition to many homes. The problems that this OXO veggie peeler has solved include:
- Dull blades that cut into the flesh of the fruit or vegetable
- Slippery handles that are hard to hold onto, especially when your hands are wet
- Small, uncomfortable handles that hurt the users’ hands when they have to do a lot of peeling tasks.
Users won’t have to deal with any of that with the OXO Good Grips Pro Swivel Peeler. The large handle fits very comfortably right in the user’s hand and the shape, an elliptical, ergonomic style shape, keeps the whole vegetable peeler from rotating during use. The fins on both sides of the peeler absorb pressure while it is being used.
The long lasting rubber material of the handle provides plenty of no-slip grip and allows for the maximum in control, even if the peeler or your hands are wet. The sharp blades of the swivel peeler angle so they take off only the smallest amount of peel necessary and very little force is needed to achieve this. Replacement blades are available if needed and they peeler is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
– Sarah Lytle
Best Budget Veggie Peeler
4.4/5 Product Rating
Features of this useful kitchen tool include a swivel blade that is made of rust resistant steel that is durable and long lasting.
The ergonomic handle allows the user to have a comfortable and sturdy grip while peeling food.
The KitchenaAId veggie peeler is compact so storing it in the drawer isn’t a problem at all. It measures 7 ½” long.
Clean up is easy thanks to the convenient, dishwasher safe capability.
This peeler comes with a plastic sheath that will protect the blade when it is not being used.
If you are looking for a compact, easy to use vegetable peeler that will help you take care of peeling fruits and vegetables fast and easy, this is it. The stylish red color makes it easy to find in your utensil drawer.
– Sarah Lytle
A vegetable peeler may not seem like a very important piece of kitchen equipment, until you need one and don’t have it. They are small devices that make peeling fruits and vegetables much easier and faster as well.
The three top rated veggie peelers reviewed above are all simple in design, yet take care of all the things a vegetable peeler needs to have. With ergonomic handles, super sharp blades, and other features that make them easy to use, any one of them are a great addition to all your kitchen utensils.
Read more about veggie peelers below in our buyer’s guide. The information contained in the guide will provide you with the considerations and points that you need to look at when sorting through all of the different choices that are available on the market. With the right information you will be able to make the right decision as to the perfect veggie peeler for your kitchen.
5. Kitchen Supreme
7. Kuhn Rikon
8. Linden Sweden
10. OXO Y
Veggie Peeler Buying Guide
Things to Consider
Vegetable peelers have changed a lot in size, style and design over the last few decades but the one thing that remains the same is that every kitchen needs to have one to take care of peeling vegetables and fruits for various dishes and recipes. Instead of the uncomfortable, too-small, metal peelers of decades past, the modern veggie peelers offer ergonomic handles in a variety of colors, styles and even sizes. They also have sharper blades than ever before and make quick work of even the most tedious of peeling tasks.
Types of Vegetable Peelers
WE have listed the most common types of vegetable peelers on the market today. These are the ones that are the most useful in the kitchen when handling peeling tasks.
These simple and inexpensive peelers get the job done. There are several different kinds of manual veggie peelers on the market. They are listed below.
- Classic Lancashire Peeler – This traditional veggie peeler is the one found in most kitchens and is used frequently for peeling potatoes, apples and various other fruits that are harder. The simple handle and sharp blade works just like a knife to remove the skin without damaging the flesh underneath. They can be used by cooks that are left or right handed. The double blade allows the user to peel the vegetables and fruits in both directions. These basic peelers can have metal, plastic or wooden handles. This lightweight kitchen tool is used often to prepare many different dishes.
- The Y Peeler – This vegetable peeler has gotten its name honestly. The Y peeler has a handle that is in the shape of a Y with the blade attached to the two ends of the peeler. Another name for this vegetable peeler is the speed peeler because this easy to use, fast peeler gets the job done fast. The Y peeler is usually made of plastic or metal and has a range of colors available to choose from. It’s easy to store in your utensil drawer as well.
- The Palm Peeler – This vegetable peeler works in a slightly different manner than the other manual models. You hold it in the palm of your hand rather than the fingers. This style of veggie peeler is good for anyone that has health issues such as arthritis that make it difficult to maneuver the fingers into the right position.
- Mechanical Peeler – This particular type of peeler does it all. It will peel, core, cut and slice fruit and vegetables easily. This type of vegetable peeler comes with attachments that make the cutting and peeling easy. Mechanical peelers take up more room than regular peelers. If you do a LOT of peeling, investing in one of these mechanical peelers is a good idea because it will get a lot of use. They are manufactured in many different styles and designs.
Electric vegetable peelers are great for large peeling jobs and are most often seen in commercial kitchens or catering kitchens. They are also really good for anyone that has arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome. Electric veggie peelers make super fast work of what could be a long and tedious job.
- Battery Operated Veggie Peeler – This simple veggie peeler is battery operated and makes peeling fruits and vegetables much easier. The blade of a battery powered veggie peeler vibrates, allowing there to be a lot less pressure applied to the food item. It will take the skin off the fruits and vegetables in the same effective way that the manual one does. If you have restricted movement in your hands or wrists, this is a very good choice.
- Electric Peeler – There are several types of electric peelers, some of which perform other functions such as salad slicers. Another type of electric veggie peeler is the rotary model that will remove the skins from vegetables and fruits, one piece at a time.
There are some vegetable peelers that are designed for specific fruits or vegetables. If you peel a lot of these types of foods, it may be beneficial to you to purchase one of these specialty vegetable peelers a long with a regular one.
- Garlic peeler – Taking the outer skin off of garlic can be a challenge. Garlic peelers will make this task much easier. The design of the garlic peeler is a tube of silicone that the garlic goes into. The tube is rolled in a fast manner between your palms and the garlic is cleanly peeled and ready to use. Garlic peelers come in a variety of bright colors. It is easy to clean and very easy to use. Kids will enjoy helping you peel the garlic when you have a special garlic peeler for them to use.
- Pineapple Peeler – Another specialty peeler, the pineapple peeler gets rid of the outer tough layer of the pineapple plus cores it and slices it too. Pineapple peelers are available in stainless steel or plastic. White is the only color available. They operate the same way, making pineapple peeling a much simpler and less time consuming task.
Despite the simple design and tasks of the veggie peeler, it is a crucial kitchen item that every kitchen wants to have in their drawer. With all of the different styles and designs, there are many to choose from and this can be overwhelming.
Many people just use guesswork but that isn’t necessary when you have the right information that you need to sort through all of the choices and make the best decision you can for your needs.
There are many different kitchen aides and gadgets that make life in the kitchen much more efficient and easy as well. The veggie peeler has a definite place in your kitchen to take care of all of your vegetable and fruit peeling needs.
Choosing the right product is something that will save you time, money and hassle since you won’t have to worry about the product not performing up to your expected standards.
- UberChef – http://www.uberchefkitchenware.com/
- OXO – https://www.oxo.com/
- KitchenAid – http://www.kitchenaid.com/