Rain Umbrella Reviews
Whether you are just enjoying a stroll or hike or you are walking to get to work, getting caught in the rain can be a real pain. Sudden downpours can ruin an outfit and cause you to go to work looking like a drowned rat.
For this reason, having a good quality rain umbrella is a good idea to take care of these unexpected downpours. With all of the different types, sizes and styles of umbrellas on the market, it is easy to find one that is easy to carry so you are never caught unprepared.
This guide will help you understand those factors and teach you what is important to look at and compare when choosing a rain umbrella.
Best Overall Rain Umbrella
5/5 Product Rating
The 9 super strong ribs are made from fiberglass that has been reinforced with resin so it will flex slightly when the wind is blowing but it will not bend or break.
Thanks to Dupont Teflon technology, this easy touch umbrella is waterproof and will be completely dry the second you come in out of the rain. This little powerhouse will protect you from inclement weather like no other umbrella can.
The design of this compact umbrella consists of a threefold metal shaft that is chrome plated and a strong and durable metal frame that allows for plenty of stability when the wind is howling.
The handle is rubberized and slip-proof with an ergonomic design that is comfortable to hold. It has a convenient wrist strap which makes it very easy to carry. The protective sleeve keeps it in excellent condition when not in use.
The terrific rain umbrella comes with a lifetime replacement guarantee and they don’t even require the return of the broken one.
– Sarah Lytle
Best Overall Rain Umbrella – Runner Up
4.7/5 Product Rating
Made of durable PVC, the oversized, transparent canopy provides users with the ultimate protection from rain and wind. The handle is made from clear acrylic that has stylish accents.
The see-through design of this umbrella allows for complete protection without hampering your view. The dome shape protects your entire head and shoulder area, keeping you dry no matter how hard it is raining.
The Totes clear bubble umbrella is available in a large variety of designs that match every preference. The company offers customers a limited lifetime warranty on this product in the event it breaks. Just return it and they will replace it.
– Sarah Lytle
4.5/5 Product Rating
It is also durable and long lasting. This compact umbrella by CrownCoast has been certified for 6000 openings without problems making it an umbrella you can count on for a long time.
Features include a convenient auto open and close canopy that works quickly to get you protected from the rain. Just press a button and it either opens or closes. This one handed operation allows you to carry items in your other hand while still operating the umbrella if you need to.
The canopy of this compact umbrella is coated with a non-absorbent synthetic polymer that is completely mold and mildew resistant, water-repellent and abrasion resistant as well. The frame is electroplated to make it corrosion resistant and rust proof.
It has an attached loop that you can loop around your wrist or use it to hang it up in the office or closet. The handle of the umbrella is made from stylish and comfortable non-slip rubber. Carrying is easy with the storage sleeve that keeps it safe when not in use.
– Sarah Lytle
Most people don’t think about having an umbrella until it is pouring outside. There are many different sizes and styles of umbrellas on the market that make it very easy to be stylish and prepared for unexpected downpours. With all of these choices it can feel overwhelming to try and decide which one is the best.
That is where the buyer’s guide below will be a big help to you. The information in this guide will educate you on the different types of rain umbrellas on the market and what makes one better than another.
We have provided you with three of the top rated rain umbrellas on the market. Customers love these models because of their durability, ease of use, compact size and fashionable style. Any one of them makes a great choice for your needs.
Rain Umbrella Buying Guide
There are several different types of rain umbrellas available to choose from. Although they have similar features, not all umbrellas are created equal and there are styles that are better than others. We have listed the different types of rain umbrellas below along with their characteristics.
- Full-Size Rain Umbrella – Decades ago, the only type of umbrella available was the full sized rain umbrella. They had long stick or cane style handles that did not fold up so they were full length all the time. Many people even used them as walking sticks. Full size rain umbrellas are not very convenient when traveling or even just carrying around town. The canopy of the full size umbrella offers a lot of coverage and is usually very durable. If you are looking for an umbrella that is easy to carry, this is probably not going to be the right one for you, but if space isn’t an issue and you just want something that provides a lot of rain coverage, the full size umbrella might be just what you need. It adds an element of class and nostalgia that the more compact styles don’t offer.
- Compact Rain Umbrella – compact umbrellas are very popular today due to the convenience they offer. They are much smaller than the traditional full size umbrella. A compact umbrella has a handle that collapses into itself when the canopy is closed. They can measure as small as 10-12” long when folded up. This is the perfect rain umbrella to carry in a purse, backpack, briefcase or even in your coat pocket. The models that are made from nickel or fiberglass are durable and provide a good amount of protection against the rain and wind. They may not be as hearty as the full size varieties are but most people opt for the convenience rather than durability when they are looking for an umbrella they can easily carry with them all the time.
- Bubble Rain Umbrellas – If you are used to the traditional canopy that most umbrellas have, a bubble umbrella may feel odd to you at first. Once you realize how much coverage and protection these uniquely styled umbrellas have, you could become a huge fan. Bubble umbrellas are designed to protect the entire head and shoulders which keeps your head completely dry. Because of the design, bubble umbrellas are transparent so your view is not obstructed in any way. Most bubble umbrellas come in a variety of beautiful and whimsical designs that are fun to look at. They are not usually very expensive so you could grab several in different designs to appeal to different moods.
- Designer Rain Umbrellas – If you love the finer things in life and want a designer rain umbrella there are a lot out there to choose from. They are a lot more expensive than the common varieties but they offer the same waterproof protection while also offering high fashion style. If this is something that is important to you, you will find that there are many to choose from.
What to Look For in an Umbrella
There are several things you want to compare when you are researching the different umbrellas that are available. We have listed these below.
- Durability – Look for fiberglass ribs which are much sturdier and longer lasting than plain metal. Fiberglass ribs are resistant to breaking and provide the right amount of flex that is needed to withstand windy days.
- Compact Size – Most people are looking for convenience when it comes to their rain umbrella. Look for styles that come in sleeves with a convenient wrist strap. These umbrellas rarely measure longer than 12” making them the perfect size for slipping into a purse, backpack, coat pocket or briefcase.
- Ease of Operation – If you get caught in a downpour, the last thing you want to worry about is having to put everything down so you can use both hands to open your umbrella. By that time your belongings and you are wet. Many of the travel and compact style umbrellas are one-hand operational and involve pushing a simple button which opens the umbrella instantly. Be careful of passersby when you are opening an auto-open/close umbrella.
- Waterproof/Repellent – Look for rain umbrellas that have been treated with a coating that makes them water resistant or repellant. This allows the umbrella to dry very quickly which is very beneficial if you keep it in your bag.
- Color/Pattern Choices – While this feature is not necessary for a durable, well made umbrella, choosing an umbrella that is brightly colored in your favorite color or pattern makes it so enjoyable to carry. You will look forward to using it and letting people see your personality.
Getting caught in the rain may look romantic in the movies but in reality it can leave you in wet uncomfortable clothing and straggly hair all day long. Even though grabbing a cheap umbrella if you notice it might rain can temporarily take care of the problem, it is much better to find a good quality rain umbrella to have on hand whenever rain is threatening so you don’t have to worry about finding a store that carries them.
For rainy climates, having a compact rain umbrella in your purse or briefcase is a must have that will keep you dry whenever the rain strikes. Even if it doesn’t rain often where you live, being prepared is always preferable to getting drenched.
Umbrellas are so compact and convenient to carry nowadays that having one on hand is easy and unobtrusive. There are many different styles and types of rain umbrellas available to choose from. Don’t forget to take a look at the terrific top rated rain umbrellas we have featured above. If you’re looking for something convenient and easy to carry with a lot of color and design choices, all three of these top choices fit the bill.
You can get a full size umbrella for days when you know it is going to rain and you’re just running errands, or you can choose a compact, travel umbrella for taking back and forth to work or on trips. Whichever style you choose, you will not have a shortage of designs to choose from.
- CrownCoast – http://www.crowncoast.com/
- Repel Easy Touch – https://repelumbrella.com/
- Totes – https://www.totes.com/