Nursing Pillow Reviews
Nursing pillows are designed specifically for nursing your baby. They are semi circle in shape to fit around the mother and made to be firmer than a regular pillow so the baby is kept at the height you need him or her to be at so they can nurse comfortably.
Nursing without a pillow is possible, but it can put undue stress on your arms, neck and shoulders that a good nursing pillow eliminates. Taking into consideration that you will be nursing hours over the course of your day, every day, you will see the necessity of this item.
There are many different nursing pillows on the market to choose from. They all have basically the same shape but designs and firmness can be different. Knowing what to look for when you are researching nursing pillows can make the decision much easier.
Best Overall Nursing Pillow
5/5 Product Rating
The generous size of this nursing pillow works for women of all shapes and sizes. It is especially great for nursing moms who have had a C-section.
This great pillow meets the needs of a newborn and can be used as the child gets older as well. The seat wrap goes into a concealed pocket when it is not being used. The outer cover of this nursing pillow is not removable so you will need to spot clean it as needed.
When not using as a nursing pillow parents can use it as a place for the baby to sit while the parent is folding clothes, watching TV, or even cooking dinner. Just remember to not leave the baby unattended while they are strapped into the pillow. Once the baby is at the age where they can start sitting up, the pillow makes a great play seat that adds support while they are gaining their balance.
– Sarah Lytle
Best Overall Nursing Pillow – Runner Up
4.8/5 Product Rating
It is machine washable and additional covers in a multitude of colors and designs are available as well.
This pillow can also be used as a propping or sitting pillow as well.
The design of the Boppy pillow fits around the mom’s stomach so the baby is at the proper level for nursing without putting strain on mom’s neck, shoulders, and back.
This functional pillow can be used to help support baby for bottle feedings too and makes a great sitting support pillow as well. This makes a great gift for a new mom or even a mom having their 2nd or 3rd child if they don’t already have a nursing pillow. The slipcovers of the Boppy pillow are removable and can be tossed into the washer easily. The pillow itself can be washed too.
– Sarah Lytle
3. My Brest Friend
Best Budget Nursing Pillow
4.5/5 Product Rating
The back rest encourages and helps posture to remain good and comfortable so mom won’t have a sore back or neck. The arm and elbow rests get rid of shoulder stress as well.
The cushion is firm and flat so the baby doesn’t roll or slide while they are nursing.
The pillow features a pocket that can hold a water bottle for mom, burp clothes, a cell phone or any other necessities that mom needs close at hand while she is nursing.
My Brest Friend nursing pillow is the only pillow that remains securely in place rather than sliding around like some others can.
This nursing pillow is available in many different colors and patterns to appeal to a range of likes and preferences.
– Sarah Lytle
Parents have a lot of options when it comes to the different nursing pillows that are on the market. Some are very simple in design and others may have straps to hold them in place, pockets and different styles and patterns available as well.
The main function a nursing pillow has is to make nursing much more comfortable and relaxing for both the mom and baby. It doesn’t replace your arms, but aides in positioning the baby at the right height so you can relax and nurse the baby without neck and shoulder strain.
The three top rated choices reviewed above are popular, well made nursing pillows that can double as play seats or propping seats as the baby gets older. They are available in a variety of patterns and colors and all of them are good quality pillows that help nursing time become even more relaxing and worry-free.
Learn more about nursing pillows and how to choose the perfect one for your needs by reading the buyer’s guide below. This guide has the information you need to understand what you need to look for and consider when you are shopping for a good quality nursing pillow.
5. Dr. Brown’s
6. Twin Z
8. Blessed Nest
9. Fisher Price
10. The Nursie
Nursing Pillow Buying Guide
There are things that you need to consider when you are researching the perfect nursing pillow for your needs. One of the first things you need to determine is how long you plan on nursing. This doesn’t have to be written in stone but if you are only going to nurse a month or two, the longevity of the nursing pillow isn’t as important as it is if you plan on nursing for a couple of years or even one year.
Before you make a purchase, you need to know what features to look for in the nursing pillows you are considering. You want to purchase a pillow that provides you with value, durability, longevity and different colors and patterns as well. We’ve listed the most important features to look for and things to consider regarding your nursing pillow below so you will be prepared with the right information.
- Nursing Pillow Fit – Fit is important when you are looking for the right pillow. If the mom has a shorter torso, some pillows may be a little too high. You want to find a pillow that places the baby’s head and body at the nipple level without having to hunch over. The thickness level of the pillow will determine where the baby will be positioned when lying on it. You won’t have a big pregnant belly when you are using the nursing pillow so that will help the fit as well since the pillow is designed to wrap around the mom’s middle when she is nursing.
- Purchasing more than one – Chances are there will be a place that you usually sit to nurse the baby. If you only nurse in that one place ALL the time, the need for more than one nursing pillow is not there. If however, you sometimes nurse in the nursery, your bed, the den, or other places regularly, you may want to consider purchasing more than one pillow. This enables the mom to not have to worry about sitting down to nurse and being comfortable before you realize you forgot to grab the pillow when you went to a different room to feed the baby.
- Portability – Look for a nursing pillow that is easy to bring along with you when you are going to be traveling or visiting someone else’s home for several hours. A lightweight pillow makes tossing it into the vehicle super easy and convenient.
- Ease of Cleaning – Some nursing pillows have removable slip-covers that can be washed in the washing machine. Some even have the pillow itself that can be washed. Spills, spitups and leaky diapers are common so be certain you are prepared with a fabric that is spot cleanable or removable so you can wash it. It is even more helpful if the fabric of the nursing pillow repels liquid so it doesn’t seem in and cause dampness and other problems.
Additional Considerations to Keep In Mind
- Comfort is the most important factor you need to keep in mind. If the pillow is not comfortable, it defeats the purpose of having it. The best and most comfortable nursing pillows as made from cotton and poly blend.
- Being easily adjusted is another important factor. The mom will be using the nursing pillow often so making it easily adjustable to fit her and the growing baby is a must.
- A cumbersome, heavy nursing pillow is not easy to move around or keep convenient. Look for a pillow that is easy to grab and carry around to where you want to nurse.
- Look for a nursing pillow that will provide all the support you and the baby need to have relaxing, comfortable nursing sessions. The right support will ensure the baby is at the right height and the pillow will be comfortable not only for the mother, but for the baby too.
- The nursing pillow should easily fit around the middle of the mom. Since she will be sitting down in a comfortable chair when nursing, the pillow needs to fit well around her waist so the baby is positioned correctly. If you are larger, you may want to look for a nursing pillow that has a larger opening at the curve side,
- Make sure that the materials that are used to make the nursing pillow are high quality materials. You want the pillow to be thick and soft, not lumpy, too squishy, or as hard as a rock. Some moms may want to find eco friendly nursing pillows. This shouldn’t be too difficult, just read the labels and descriptions to understand whether the materials used are eco friend or not.
- Even though pockets aren’t mandatory, they certainly make things really convenient for the mom. Pockets can hold anything from a drink for the nursing mother to her cell phone or the TV remote. You can even keep a small burp cloth in there for spit ups and a small pack of travel wipes for cleaning your hands if necessary.
- Keeping the pillow clean is very important since your baby will be lying on it. Look for materials that are easily spot cleaned with a rag and some mild dish soap and then let the pillow dry while lying flat. Other pillows are completely washable, both the pillow and the covers. Just remove the cover and toss everything into the wash. Make sure that when drying the pillow you lay it flat and shape it so it dries the way it is supposed to.
- Some nursing pillows have carrying bags which can make traveling with it much simpler. They will usually have a nursing pillow shaped carry bag with a long strap.
- Waist straps can be a potential positive or negative depending on a few factors. If you are of average size, the straps can be a great way to secure the nursing pillow to the mom’s waist. If not, then the straps may be a source of frustration if they don’t fit around your middle.
- Price is always a consideration when making a purchase. You don’t want to buy the cheapest nursing pillow you can find because that will probably be one that tears, changes shape and flattens out easier than a high quality one. Look for the middle of the road pillow which will be easy to keep. You should be able to easily find good mid range prices for a good quality nursing pillow with no problem.
If you plan on breastfeeding your baby, a nursing pillow should be on your list of necessities. It will help the whole experience be more comfortable and relaxed, especially if it is your first child and first experience breastfeeding. Having this pillow will make the whole experience much more peaceful and comfortable for both of you.
There are many different styles and designs of nursing pillows on the market so finding one that meets your needs or the needs of the mother to be is relatively easy. You should even be able to find a design or color that matches your nursery theme if that is important to you.
You can be confident about your decision when it is based on knowledge you have gained about nursing pillows. Some nursing pillows are very basic and others have bells and whistles that make them even more convenient and useful. Once you have read this guide you will be able to choose the perfect pillow for you and your baby.
- My Brest Friend – https://www.mybrestfriend.com/
- Leachco – http://leachco.com/
- Boppy – https://www.boppy.com/