Magnesium Supplement Reviews
Magnesium benefits the body in many ways, some of which you may not have known about. It might be surprising to note how much of the body can be affected by having the right amount of magnesium in your system. It is difficult to get the recommended amount of magnesium from just the foods you eat.
Most people don’t eat much of a well balanced, healthy diet so it becomes necessary to supplement with a good magnesium supplement. If you want to choose the best magnesium supplement for your needs, you need to know what to look for and what to look out for. This buyer’s guide is designed to help you understand what makes a great magnesium supplement so you can sort through all the choices and decide on the one that meets your magnesium intake needs.
Best Overall Magnesium Supplement
5/5 Product Rating
It also will help relax the muscles properly and help you maintain a healthy heart. This supplement is gluten free and non-GMO as well as Vegan approved. You will definitely enjoy a healthier lifestyle when you are getting the proper amount of magnesium in your body.
These supplements can help you do that. Just take 2 tablets once or twice a day and you’re set. Combine taking this supplement with a healthy diet and exercise and you can prevent a slew of health problems that can occur from an unhealthy lifestyle and magnesium deficiency.
– Linda Krantz
Best Overall Magnesium Supplement – Runner Up
4.8/5 Product Rating
These caplets are approved for Vegans and Vegetarians. They support the nervous system, energy production and are critical for enzyme function as well. You may notice once you start taking this supplement that you sleep better, you feel happier, you’re more relaxed and many other benefits that are hard to beat.
If you’re looking for a simple way to get the magnesium your body needs for optimal health, try Now Foods Magnesium Citrate.
– Linda Krantz
Best Budget Magnesium Supplement
4.7/5 Product Rating
Magnesium is one of the key players in supporting the energy that is needed to fuel most body reactions.
It is gluten, wheat and dairy free and is safe for vegans and vegetarians to use as well so they can reap the benefits of getting the proper amount of magnesium. You also won’t find any soy, preservatives, artificial color, yeast, sugar or sodium.
Solgar is a very healthy way to get the magnesium your body needs to function at its best each day. Take 2 tablets every day with one of your meals and eat a healthy, well balanced diet.
– Linda Krantz
The majority of people have some sort of magnesium deficiency. This mineral has a very important role in your body so when the levels aren’t what they should be your body isn’t operating at the premium level it could be.
The three top rated magnesium supplements that we featured above are a great place to start when you are looking for great quality supplements. All three are from very well known and reputable companies in the vitamin industry that are known for producing the finest supplements on the market. Any one of them would be an excellent choice for getting this important supplement into your system so you can reap the benefits it provides.
Read the buyer’s guide below to learn more about magnesium and how to choose the best form and best quality supplement you can get. This information will give you the confidence you need to eliminate the brands or forms that don’t fit your needs and concentrate on the ones that will provide what you are looking for.
Magnesium Supplement Buying Guide
Magnesium is a very important mineral that is responsible for some very key roles in your body. They are involved in muscle contraction, energy production, bone formation, nerve transmission, blood sugar control and heart rhythm. With all of these important roles, having the right magnesium levels in your system is crucial to leading the healthiest life you can.
Most of the magnesium that is in our body comes from the food we eat but most people don’t get nearly enough if this valuable mineral. There are several good sources of magnesium including green leafy vegetables, whole grains, seafood and dairy but unfortunately today’s society is made up of so much processed food that relying solely on food as a means of getting magnesium will only leave you deficient.
Some of the problems that are associated with improper levels of magnesium include fatigue, difficulty falling asleep, anxiety and more. Long term deficiency has even been linked to diabetes and cancers so it is very important that you get the correct amount of this critical mineral.
Types of Magnesium Supplements
There are several different types of magnesium supplements on the market to choose from. We have provided some information for you below to look at so you understand the types and forms that magnesium comes in. This information will help you have a much easier time choosing the right magnesium supplement for your needs.
- Oral supplements – The majority of magnesium is sold in either capsule or tablet form. They are very convenient and easy to take and have been proven to correct magnesium deficiencies. Be aware that taking too much magnesium can cause gastrointestinal problems and could also have a laxative effect on the body so watch those supplement levels and back off the dosage if you notice that you have discomfort or diarrhea.
- Transdermal Supplements – Magnesium gets into the body internally but it can also be absorbed through the skin which is called transdermal. One of the most notable examples of this is Epsom salt which is Magnesium sulfate. It is typically added to the bath water and soaked in for a great, relaxing boost. If you use lotions and oils, often they have magnesium chloride in the ingredient list and are sprayed onto the skin or rubbed in. If you are sensitive to digestive issues, the transdermal supplement would be a much better way to get your magnesium.
Forms of Magnesium
Magnesium comes in many different forms. Your body will absorb certain forms of magnesium either than others. Magnesium is a safe supplement to take and comes with little to no side effects from taking it when it is dosed correctly. When you are researching the different forms remember to consider the information below.
- Solubility – certain forms of this mineral will dissolve easier than others. You want to find the more soluble forms of magnesium since they are absorbed better and cause fewer intestinal problems. This is definitely something you want to look for in your search.
- Magnesium content – Some supplements have higher levels of magnesium than others. The brands that have greater levels of elemental magnesium tend to cost less and can be taken at lower doses due to the higher magnesium content.
- Chelation – Magnesium that is attached to organic compounds like vitamin C form what are called chelates. Organic chelates are much easier to digest and therefore more popular.
- Cost – Just like with anything else that you purchase, there will be some magnesium supplements that will cost more than others. Beware of choosing a supplement solely on price alone. The cheapest supplements will usually be low quality magnesium oxide. This doesn’t mean that you have to spend super high amounts either. You can find excellent quality magnesium supplements for as little as $.17 per day.
- Product Purity – There are many magnesium supplements that can have other undesirable compounds in it such as arsenic. Look for supplements that have been tested for purity by a third party.
- Preparation of the Supplement – If you are looking for a magnesium supplement that is easier on the stomach, look for buffered varieties. These types are also said to have better absorption rates as well. If you are vegetarian or vegan, look for capsules that state they are 100% vegetarian or vegan and that they contain no animal products in their creation.
- Other Qualities – The compounds that can be attached to magnesium offer additional benefits in many cases. A good example of this is magnesium glycinate which contains the amino acid glycine. It is known for its calming effects on people who take this form of the supplement.
Foods that Contain Magnesium
Although it is very difficult to get the amount of magnesium you need through food, it is always good to know what foods contain this very beneficial mineral.
- Peanut butter
- Soy milk
- Sunflower seeds
- Brown rice
There are not really exact numbers available that will tell you how much magnesium is in each food but there are ranges you can locate if you want to keep that close of an eye on your magnesium intake. This is one of the reasons supplements are so popular. With a magnesium supplement you will know exactly how much magnesium you are taking in each day.
Magnesium is a very important mineral that your body needs to operate at the optimum levels. There are many different forms and ways you can take this supplement. This buyer’s guide has provided you with the information you need to sort through the different types and forms and choose the one that will work the best for your body’s needs.
The three magnesium supplements listed above are all great choices and are cost effective and high quality supplements. If you want to find something else, use the information you have learned in this guide to help steer you in the right direction so you are happy with the choice you make and so you reap the benefits that come with taking a good quality magnesium supplement.
If you are taking any medications or have any health issues, check with your doctor to make sure that magnesium supplements will not interact with anything you are taking. You doctor may give you a specific dosage to follow as well.
- Doctors Best – https://www.drbvitamins.com/
- NOW – https://www.nowfoods.com/
- Solgar – http://www.solgar.com/