Hunting Bag Reviews
If you are an avid hunter you know the importance of having a good hunting bag to carry your supplies and gear. Modern hunting bags are designed to carry a number of items and in most cases will leave the hunter’s arms free so they can grab their weapons, ammunition and scopes when needed.
There are many different types of hunting bag styles on the market. Choosing the perfect hunting bag for your needs can be a challenge with so many choices available, especially if you don’t know what to look for. The purpose of this buyer’s guide is to provide information that will help make sorting through all the choices much easier.
There are several things that you will need to consider before purchasing a hunting bag. These considerations include the type of weapons you will be carrying and how easy access needs to be. Some bags are better for certain types of hunting so you will need to think about your specific needs when you are researching.
One thing you should do before you start looking is make a list of all the items you will be carrying on your hunting trips. This will ensure that you choose a bag that is big enough to accommodate all your gear.
1. ALPS OutdoorZ
Best Overall Hunting Bag
5/5 Product Rating
The webbed fabric handle makes carrying this bag very easy and the padded shoulder straps are very comfortable when you are hiking to your hunting spot.
The bartacked webbing allows for extra gear to be carried easily and there is a large front pocket for maximum organization. You will have plenty of room for additional clothing and gear. The mossy oak design fits in perfectly with your surroundings and the bag is just as stylish as it is functional.
– Jonathan Maxwell
4.8/5 Product Rating
This makes this bag ultra-durable, even when trekking through the forest on your hunting excursions. This bag has everything you need for a hunting trip to your personal tree stand or even local hunts.
The pattern of the bag conceals movement very well so that the bag itself doesn’t scare away game. There is room for water bottles or a hydration bag as well as 5 storage pockets and it even includes bedroll straps. The Air Track Suspension from Badland’s makes this one of the most popular hunting bags on the market today.
One of the best things about this Badlands backpack is the lifetime guarantee they offer on their bags. They stand behind their products 100% and the unconditional lifetime guarantee that they offer (the ONLY one in the industry) proves that.
– Jonathan Maxwell
Best Budget Hunting Bag
4.5/5 Product Rating
It even includes an insulated drink holder that is detachable. This is a great blind gear bag and it will match your duck commander waders perfectly.
The shoulder strap is adjustable and makes carrying the bag easy and comfortable. It also has a rubberized handle for comfortable carrying and features 8 external pockets for all your hunting gear.
The design of this bag works well to carry basic gear whether you are just hunting for the day or are on a multi-day trip in the woods.
– Jonathan Maxwell
One of the most important factors to think about when choosing which hunting bag you want to purchase is what needs you’ll have while in the woods. If you’re just going to be out on a daytrip and your vehicle is close by, you will need something different than if you are going to be in the woods for a few days. Many hunting bags come in a multi-piece set which can accommodate hunters that go out for different lengths of time.
The different bags can be strapped together if you need more room or are going out for longer excursions. If you already know ahead of time that you will only be out for a day or two, you can purchase a bag that will handle gear for that amount of time. If you will be going on hunts that are much longer and involve hanging out in your tree stand, you can make allowances for that as well.
With the many types of bags available, there is a type, style, and size for every hunter. If none of the bags we have reviewed above appeal to you, use the information in this guide to research other bags that may be a better fit. The information we have provided will teach you what you need to look at to sort through the various sizes and types so you can choose the one that will work best for your hunting supply and storage needs.
Hunting Bag Buying Guide
Hunting Bag Features
Hunting bags may look a little bit like hiking bags but hunting bags have different characteristics and features due to the unique accessories and gear that hunters carry. Some bags even have the ability for meat and small carcasses to be attached for easy transport. Make sure that when you start searching for the right pack, you take the following bag characteristics into consideration.
- Durable and rugged – Hunting is oftentimes done over heavy or rugged terrain. You can be walking through heavy brush and exposed to all kinds of weather from rain to snow to extreme heat. For this reason, you want a bag that is able to stand up to the harshest conditions without falling apart at the seams. Look for tear-resistant material, reinforced stitching and materials that are designed to resist UV damage. UV rays can degrade hunting bags that are exposed to the sun for any length of time. UV resistant material will minimize this damage.
- Water resistant – When you are in the woods hunting it is inevitable that you will get caught in the rain at some point. Getting caught in a storm can mean wet clothing and ruined equipment. Having a waterproof hunting bag will keep the contents dry and away from the elements. This is handy in case you ever do get stuck in the rain since the bag can carry a change of clothing.
- Materials – Hunting bags are made from a variety of materials including nylon, canvas, suede, and leather. Each type of material has different characteristics that make each unique and suited to specific kinds of use. Full-grain leather is the most durable and doesn’t make noise while you are in the woods. It is the most expensive kind yet many hunters feel the cost is worth it since it can last for decades. Nylon can be treated to be made waterproof but it tends to make noise when anything brushes against it which can scare off game.
- Color – You don’t want to carry a bag through the woods that can be seen from miles away. For this reason, most hunting bags are made with a camouflaged design. This design allows hunters and their gear to blend into the background so animals do not see them. Solid colors are not a good idea since they are much more identifiable, even solid, nature-like colors. Look for patterns that blend with your hunting environment.
- Noise – Nylon is a super strong material but its drawback is that it makes a lot of noise when items brush against it. This noise can be counterproductive when trying to stalk prey. There are some bags that have fleece coverings to minimize the noise made when twigs or branches brush against it but the problem with this “solution” is that burrs and sticks and other items often get stuck in the fleece. Velcro is a poor choice since it makes a lot of noise when pulled apart. The quietest closures are buttons, toggles or elastic pulls. You want a pack that is easily and quietly removable.
- Comfort – One of the most important features a hunting bag should have is comfort. Since you will be carrying it through the woods, you want it to be as comfortable as possible. Features that increase comfort include padded hip and shoulder belts, strap belts that help distribute the weight, materials that wick away any moisture and sweat, and backpacks with mesh along body contact points to keep air flow good.
- Weight – Be sure to look at the weight of the bag without any gear when you are considering different hunting bags. You want to find the lightest possible bag when it is empty because the gear you carry will add weight. Even a bag that weighs 1-2 pounds can feel a lot heavier than one that weighs just a few ounces when loaded down with gear. Some hunting bags come with internal or external frames that help support the weight of the bag. The drawback to framed bags is that they are much heavier than frameless bags. The main idea is to not have a bag so heavy when loaded that it becomes a detriment to your hunting success.
- Zippers – Zippers can be a great feature but also one that can be very frustrating if they are of poor quality. You want to make sure that the zippers on your hunting bag are top-quality, durable, sturdy, and easy to open and close without much noise. Some zippers have rubber ends that minimize noise. Many hunters prefer to use buttons and toggles since they are much quieter but are not necessarily faster.
With the many different styles and types of hunting bags on the market it can be quite a challenge to decide which one is right for your needs. The decision will be easy if you first consider how much gear you will carrying, how long your hunting trips will be, what kind of hunting you will be doing, the budget you have set for a hunting bag, and personal preferences on materials.
The three hunting bags reviewed in this guide are all excellent-quality bags that are adaptable to many different hunting scenarios. The information in this guide is designed to help you sort through the many choices available including the three, top-rated hunting bags featured above. With this knowledge, you can now have a much better understanding of hunting bags and their additional features.
The above information will also help your research be faster, easier, and less stressful since you will know exactly what you are looking for. The right knowledge will enable you to make an informed decision that will meet your hunting needs.
Since we all want you to have the best hunting experience possible, make sure you choose a hunting bag that has plenty of room for all your gear. Remember, too, that it is better for your bag to be a larger than you need than not large enough. Good luck with your choice and Happy Hunting!
- ALPS – http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/
- Badlands – http://www.badlandspacks.com/
- OAGear – http://www.outdooractivegear.com/