Gas Lawn Mower Reviews
Gas powered lawn mowers are probably the most common type of lawn mower used. When you are looking at different mowers, one of the considerations you need to look at is the size of your lawn. Other considerations include any slopes and obstacles that are in your yard including trees and flower beds as well as other lawn decorations that are not moveable.
You want to choose your lawn mower carefully considering how much you will be using it. There are three factors that are most important when it comes to lawn mowers: performance, comfort and durability. You also want want to look at the speed control system and the handlebar height as well.
Don’t forget about looking at the warranties that the companies offer as well. Some warranties even include a guarantee to start on only one or two pulls. All of these factors are involved in finding the right lawn mower for your needs. We spent over 14 days researching and testing 10 different kinds of gas powered lawn mowers and found that ease of starting, performance, and brand reputation were most important. With so many to choose from, it can be overwhelming. Our objective is to make the process of finding the right lawn mower simple.
Best Overall Gas Lawn Mower
5/5 Product Rating
The mower handles are folded down in the package for easier shipping. All that is needed is to take the mower out of the box, unfold the handle and tighten the bolts and you’re ready to go.
This mower has a compact design that works well in tight spaces. There is a 4 point, 5 position height adjustment so you can choose how long or short you cut your grass.
This Husqvarna Gas Powered Lawn Mower is California Carb Compliant and comes with a 2 year limited consumer warranty. It is an excellent choice for mowing your lawn and will provide excellent performance all season long.
– Sarah Lytle
Best Overall Gas Lawn Mower – Runner Up
4.8/5 Product Rating
It features a KOHLER XT6 OHV Engine and other commercial grade features that include a tri-cutting system, 21” steel deep dome deck that is lightweight and durable.
It offers high quality mulching capabilities and a superior cut too. There is a two point cutting height adjustment so you can choose how short to cut your grass.
The larger bag capacity fills easily and allows fast emptying of the bag. The larger capacity of the bag enables consumers to empty the bag less often.
Users can choose from 3 different discharge methods: bagging, mulching and side discharge. As long as the use and maintenance of this Lawn Boy mower is normal, the company guarantees that it will start on one or two pulls for three years at least or they will fix it for free. There is also a 2 year no worry warranty that comes with.
– Sarah Lytle
3. Poulan Pro
Best Budget Gas Lawn Mower
4.6/5 Product Rating
It is lightweight and easy to use and has a 20” cutting capacity that has a side discharge as well. It is a good lawn mower for flatter terrains.
The Briggs and Stratton 450e series engine is 125cc and produces 4.5 feet, pounds gross torque to give you all the power you need.
The Poulan Pro has 7” wheels and a compact design that is easy to maneuver around trees, flowerbeds, lawn furniture and other obstacles.
Unlike similar competitor units, this lightweight mower is fully assembled and ready to use right out of the box. Durable handles with easy bail access to engage the blades and mow your yard in comfort. It comes fully assembled so all you need to do is remove it from the box, add gas and you’re ready to go.
– Sarah Lytle
Finding the right lawn mower can make a big difference in the look of your lawn and the ease in which you mow it. There are many different models, Brand names and types of lawn mowers and more. All three of the lawn mowers we have reviewed and featured here are gas powered mowers that offer the user many features that will produce a well manicured lawn with minimal trouble.
The Husqvarna and Lawn Boy models feature 3-in-1 cutting choices of mulching, side discharge or rear bag, providing plenty of versatility. The Poulan is a lower cost alternative that has a side discharge and plenty of other features that make it a great choice if you’re looking for something simple that work well and that is easy to handle and lightweight too.
Read our buyer’s guide below to learn more about choosing the right gas lawn mower for your needs. With all of the choices available, there is nothing wrong with narrowing down the field and getting rid of the models you are not interested in.
4. Yard Machines
6. Husqvarna 22
9. Husqvarna LC121FH
Gas Lawn Mower Buying Guide
Why Gas Lawn Mowers are a Good Choice
There are many reasons why a gas powered mower is the perfect choice for all of your mowing needs. We have outlined many of the common reasons below.
- Gas powered mowers are the most powerful walk behind mower available.
- Gas powered mowers have more power which enables them to support larger deck widths. This means they have a wider cutting path than other types of mowers. A wider cutting path means fewer passes and finishing the job faster as well as save time and money.
- The powerful motor a gas powered lawn mower has means that the engine will have no problem cutting through St. Augustine or Bermuda grass and other thick, tough grass. It will also do well on dense patches in your yard without struggling.
- Gas lawn mowers handle uneven ground much better than other types of mowers.
- Self propelled, gas powered lawn mowers are less expensive than the electric counterparts are, and there is no battery to worry about running low.
- Gas lawn mowers cover more ground than an electric lawn mower can. It is easy for a gas lawn mower to mow as much as a ½ acre or more with just one tank of gas. If the property you are mowing is larger than ½ an acre and the gas runs out, you only have to wait minutes while you refill the tank rather than having to wait hours while the battery recharges.
- Gas powered mowers have come a long way and are not as difficult to start as they once were. Many of the top brands offer a 1-2 start guarantee that states that the mower will start easily on one or two pulls or they will fix or replace it.
There are several things you will want to look for when it comes to the gas lawn mower that you purchase. If the mower you are considering has these features, you can be confident that you are getting a good product.
- Easy to steer and push – You want to look for a mower that is balanced and easy to steer and handle. Heavy duty wheels and easy to use controls make this possible. Self-propelled mowers are easy to handle as well; the best ones moving without engaging the motor.
- Variety of Discharge Options – Some gas mowers have side discharge only, but some of the better models also offer rear bag and mulching attachments. This 3-in-1 capability allows the user to choose which was to deal with the grass clipping rather than being locked into one way.
- Easy to Fill Gas and Oil – Getting a mower that has easy to reach and fill gas and oil locations make it much easier to keep it in working order. Adding gas and oil is a regular part of maintaining a gas lawn mower. One that has difficult to access spouts or caps can be a real pain to deal with.
- Easy to remove and replace Air Filter – Check to be sure that the cover to the air filter is easy to remove so you can check it and replace it if necessary. The higher end mowers often have a pleated style paper air filter that can trap a lot of dirt and dust, making them ideal for dirty mowing conditions (lots of dirt/grass areas)
- Blade Brake Clutch – Adding this to your mower can add about 75 to 100 dollars to the cost of the mower but it is a very convenient feature to have if you find yourself stopping the mower often to remove things from the mower’s path. The blade brake clutch allows users to disengage the mower’s drive system and stop the blade so you can walk away from the mower with the engine running. This is useful so you are not shutting off the mower and starting it repeatedly when you need to move things out of the way.
- Wash-Out Fitting – Many mowers have a wash-out nozzle that will enable users to connect a hose and wash out grass clippings from under the deck. Higher end mowers have a quick-connect fitting that will allow the user to attach the hose and then snap the nozzle onto the deck conveniently. This feature is a great way to keep the mower clean between mowing tasks.
- Front Caster Wheels – A mower that has this feature will allow the mower to pivot a rear drive mower in a way that is similar to how a shopping cart moves. This is perfect for providing a lot of maneuverability. The drawback to this type of mower feature is that it makes adjusting the mower’s cutting height very inconvenient and difficult since the front wheels will have to be independently adjusted.
- Tall Rear Wheels – A mower that has large rear wheels is much easier to maneuver over rough surfaces. Due to this taller wheel height, the rear deck adjust levers may not be able to be reached.
There are many benefits and advantages to purchasing a gas powered lawn mower. They are much stronger and longer lasting than electric or cordless mowers which makes them a more common choice over other types.
There are different quality levels of mowers on the market today. Sorting through them all can be a challenge if you don’t know what to look for. We’ve taken care of that for you.
The purpose of this buyer’s guide is to provide buyers with the important features and specifics of a gas powered lawn mower so you will know which ones are worth considering and which ones are better passed over.
With the right information, you will be able to eliminate the lawn mowers that don’t fit into the needs and preferences you have for taking care of your lawn. We’ve also provided reviews on three terrific gas lawn mower choices that come out on top when compared to other popular models that are available.
Having the right gas lawn mower will make taking care of your yard much less tiresome. Your lawn will look terrific and you won’t have to wear yourself out achieving that look.
- Husqvarna – http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/lawn-mowers/
- Lawn Boy – https://www.lawnboy.com/en/
- Poulan – http://www.poulanpro.com/