Electric Blanket Reviews
These three top rated electric blankets are very popular with consumers due to their ease of use, performance and materials used. They are comfortable, soft, and most importantly they keep you warm. The goal we have when we provide these reviews and the buyer’s guide that is below, is to help consumers with the process of choosing the best electric blanket they can afford.
There are many different factors that go into a good quality electric blanket. We want to make the selection and shopping process as smooth and enjoyable as possible. Take a look at these three top rated electric blankets that customers everywhere have hailed as excellent choices.
1. Sunbeam Microplush
Best Overall Electric Blanket
5/5 Product Rating
It comes equipped with a Thermofine warning system that will deliver consistent heating for hours.
There are three heat settings that this electric blanket can be set at and there is a 3 hour auto off as well that will automatically shut off the blanket after 3 hours. Construction of the electric blanket is 100% polyester that is designed in a super soft plush that just feels wonderful after a chilly day outside. Come home, put your feet up and snuggle up with this super soft electric blanket while you wind down for the evening.
The Dimensions of the Sunbean Microplush Electric Blanket are 50” x 60”. It is machine washable so it stays clean and fresh smelling. (Remove the heating element before washing) It is equipped with sensors that will automatically adjust to the temperature of the room, body or bed so you don’t get too hot. It is truly America’s #1 electric throw blanket and comes with a manufacturer’s warranty to guard against defects.
– Sarah Lytle
2. Soft Heat
Best Overall Electric Blanket – Runner Up
4.6/5 Product Rating
It has been described as the most comfortable electric blankets on the market today and for good reason. The micro-plush fabric is super soft and smooth on your skin.
The patented safe and warm low voltage technology is made up of a small power supply box that will change 120v AC current into a non hazardous DC current for the user’s safety. Even if this blanket gets damp it will safely provide warmth and protection without any danger of shorts.
The wires that are used in this electric blanket are super tiny and thin so you don’t even feel them inside the blanket. With this blanket, you won’t feel the bulky cords inside the fabric. The wires are evenly spread out all over the blanket so you don’t have spots that are super warm and those that are cooler. The result of the evenly spaced, all over wires is more consistent heating.
Made of 100% polyester, the super luxurious feeling micro-fleece is machine washable and can be dried in the dryer without any concerns about pilling, shrinking or losing its shape. The Soft Heat electric blanket is made in the USA.
There are two separate zones for this blanket that will work for two people. Each one can adjust their side to the warmth setting they are comfortable with. There is a very large display that is backlit and allows users to adjust the settings in the middle of the night if they need to.
The pre-heat and hold feature allows you to get your bed ready to jump into even on the coolest of nights. Once it reaches the temperature that you desire, it will shut off and hold the temperature there. You will never have to climb into a cold bed again.
– Sarah Lytle
3. Sunbeam Quilted
Best Budget Electric Blanket
4.4/5 Product Rating
This Sunbeam Quilted Fleece Electric Blanket is your solution to not waking up cold anymore.
This electric blanket has 10 heat settings and a whopping 10 hour auto-off that will shut the blanket off if you forget to.
The wiring system that runs throughout the blanket will adjust according to the temperature in the room or bed as well as your body.
Made of 100% polyester, you will love the comfortable feel of the quilted channel design. Clean up is easy since this electric blanket is machine washable and is also safe to put in the dryer as well.
The measurements of this sunbeam electric blanket are approximately 81” x 64”; plenty big enough to cover a twin or full size bed. You can get this electric blanket in many different sizes and colors to match your bedroom decor.
– Sarah Lytle
Electric blankets are still very popular in the wintertime. The popularity of these three top rated electric blankets proves their popularity and response. Each one of these top rated choices provides warmth, convenience and performance. You will simply never watch TV or sleep in the cold again with this electric blanket around.
If you continue reading below, you can learn even more specifics about what is involved in choosing the right electric blanket for your needs. Our detailed buyer’s guide will tell you all about electric blankets, the common features they have and specifics about their performance.
Once you have completed reading the buyer’s guide you will be ready to sort through the choices that are available and choose the one for you. It is our goal that our reviews and buyer’s guides will give you the information you need to make an informed choice.
4. Sunbeam BSF9GTS
5. Sunbeam TSM8TS
6. Sunbeam TSF8US
7. Perfect Fit 783633
8. Sunbeam TRT8WR
10. Sunbeam BSF9GQS
Electric Blanket Buying Guide
What is an Electric Blanket?
Electric blankets are the perfect items to keep you toasty and warm throughout the night or while you are sitting on the couch watching TV at night. They are even used to reduce pain in muscles and joints as many people have conditions that cold temperatures aggravate.
Electric blankets come in a variety of sizes and colors as well as material choices as well. When you start shopping for one, you want to be aware of the features electric blankets can have so you can choose one that fits your personal needs and preferences.
Health Benefits of Electric Blankets
TElectric blankets have been used to reduce pain that is caused by health problems including Fibromyalgia and arthritis. These two illnesses go after the joints and tissues of the body and cause debilitating pain. The warmth an electric blanket gives will keep the joints warm and reduces pain. Electric blankets can also help those with allergies or asthma because they reduce the amount if dust mites that are found in bedding.
Electric blankets are made by putting a heating element between layers of fabric. Over the years the wires of the electric blanket have gotten smaller so they are not the bulky bedding they used to be. Most modern electric blankets are machine washable but you will need to unplug and remove the heating parts (not the wires that are encased in the layers of fabric).
Sizes of Electric Blankets
There are many different sizes of electric blankets to choose from. Manufacturers make electric blanket sizes correspond with regular bed sizes. The larger blankets like Queen and King have two separate controls, one for each side of the bed. More often than not, twin and full-size will only have one set of controllers. The most typical sizes will be Twin, Full, Queen, King and then there are throws which are used for sitting on the couch and relaxing and are smaller than an electric blanket for the bed.
Features of an Electric Blanket
Different types of electric blankets and manufacturers will have different features. We’ve outlined some of the more common features below. Before you start shopping you need to have an idea of what you’re look for. Do you want something for TV watching? Do you need two sided controls so both you and you S.O. can adjust the temps to whatever you are com
Safety Features – Electric blankets have a lot of safety features that need to be taken seriously. You are sleeping underneath this blanket so you want to be sure that safety features are in place so you are protected even overnight.
- Low voltage – low voltage electric blankets lower the risk of electric shock. Look for blankets that use 120v or less and that say low voltage. They also use much less energy.
- Automatic shut off – blankets that have auto shut off will automatically shut off after a designated time. Some blankets have 3 hour auto shut off and still others have 10 full hours. Auto shut off timers reduce the chances of overheating and help save power by shutting off the unit when you not using it.
- Variable Settings – Variable setting electric blankets are always good so the user can adjust the temperature of the electric blanket. Depending on the model, you may have 3 settings to choose from or you could have 10.
- Backlit control display – If you are trying to adjust your controls during the middle of the night, having lit controls is a good idea that will provide convenience and ease for the user.
- Plush Fabric – Soft, plush fabric feels really good to lie under and is a popular feature with electric blankets. The material your electric blanket is made from will definitely play a part in your enjoyment of using the blanket so look for fabrics that feel good to the skin like fleece, plush, microfiber and cotton.
- Dual controls – When you get a larger Queen or King Size electric blanket, there will be two heating zones that will be controlled through the use of a controls and temperature settings. This allows two people to use it and both can use it according to what they like.
- Pre-Heating – Being able to warm your electric blanket before you even get into bed is s great thing. Just turn on the blanket to pre-heat and let your bed warm up to a desired, comfortable level.
Cleaning Your Electric Blanket
Many people think that electric blankets are hard to use but the modern design has been improved so much, they are easy to use and a pleasure to have. The instructions that your electric blanket comes with will tell you about the kinds of detergents you can use and how to get that blanket clean. Dry cleaning is not recommended for electric blankets but most nowadays are machine washable.
You will need to disconnect the control box from the blanket before you wash it. You will also want to inspect the blanket before putting it in the washer as well. Look for exposed wiring or rips in the material. If there is no damage your blanket is ready to toss into the wash. Use a mild detergent and the cold water setting on delicate. Over agitating the electric blanket can damage it so only have it go through the different cycles once each wash and don’t over wash it.
The best method of drying your electric blanket is to hang it on the line but if that is not an option for you, you can dry it using the low to no heat setting. Once the blanket is completely dry you will able to reconnect the control setting box to it.
Electric Blanket Safety Tips
- Don’t wash the electric blanket while it is connected to the control box. That needs to be taken out and kept off to the side until you are done cleaning them.
- If pets sleep with you, inspect the blanket frequently to ensure no dog is chewing the blanket and leaving it exposed. Low voltage blankets are the best for pet owners and children dish.
- Make sure the blanket is turned off when you’re not using it. The auto shut off that many have now is perfect for shutting the blanket off automatically after a set number of hours. Even with this auto-shut off safety measure, try to get into the habit of turning off the blanket when you get out of bed.
- Don’t lie on top of an electric blanket. Lying on top of it can be responsible for broken coils and it could expose the heat coil and cause damage.
- Don’t place books, laptops, or stuffed animals on top of the blanket. It can cause heat to become trapped which can lead to temperature rises.
- Make sure the blanket lies flat and doesn’t get crumpled up in a ball. Excessive heat can build up inside the blanket if it is crumpled up in a ball.
- Don’t use electric blankets outside. Even the low voltage ones should not be plugged in and used outside. Keep the use of your electric blanket confined to the couch or bed only.
Electric blankets are not new inventions but they have advanced quite a bit from the large controlled, clunky blankets they used to be. All three of the top rated choices here are perfect for someone wanting to purchase a blanket that will keep them warm on those cold winter nights. With a little bit of care, you’ll be able to have an excellent source of warmth that you can count on.
Electric blankets are easy to pull out of the closet when it is bedtime and then just fold them up again in the morning when you’re up for the day. It is not recommended to make the bed up with one because sitting on top of the electric blanket can damage it.
When you start shopping for your electric blanket, be sure to measure the size of your bed so you don’t get something that is going to either not be big enough or it will be too big and adjustments will have to be made. An electric blanket was not designed to be a part of the bed set, they are extra bedding pieces to use on top of the others so you stay toasty warm no matter how cold it is outside. Many people even use them while sitting on the couch watching movies or TV shows.