Echinacea Herbal Supplement Buying Guide
There are tons of benefits that Echinacea provides to those who take it on a regular basis. Below, we have listed several important benefits that really stand out.
- Combats Cancer – There is a lot of research that has been done regarding the benefits of Echinacea when it comes to brain cancer. The phytochemicals that Echinacea contains indicate that they may be valuable in combating tumors. More research needs to be done, but so far the findings have been in a positive direction. These findings have been published by the National Institutes of Health. Because of these findings, Echinacea is being recommended as a natural cancer treatment alongside the regular therapies already in use.
- Immune System Booster – The University of Connecticut published information that they got from 14 studies that showed that taking Echinacea on a regular basis cuts the chance of catching a cold by 58% and reduces the duration of that cold by up to 1 ½ days. With so many people coming down with colds and the flu, having a natural remedy that not only helps you avoid getting it but shortens the duration if you DO get it is a big positive. Further studies showed that the amount of Echinacea taken has an effect on the immune system as well. If taken once the symptoms of the cold or flu appear, there is a noticeable difference in how fast those people get over the illness.
Gets Rid of Pain – Echinacea purpurea was used decades ago by the Great Plains Indians as a pain killer and those pain killing benefits are still seen in modern days. It has been shown to be very effective in treating the following types of pain:
- Headache pain
- Pain from snake bites
- Pain that comes from herpes, gonorrhea or the measles
- Sore throat pain
- Stomach aches
- Pain from tonsillitis
The best way to use it for pain is to drink it as a tea. You can even make a paste from ground Echinacea herbs and apply it to a sore tooth or other area that is hurting.
- Has Laxative Properties – Many herbs have positive effects on the gastrointestinal tract and stomach and Echinacea is no exception. It can be used as a very mild and gentle laxative if needed and is most effective for this use by drinking it in tea form. It is important not to drink too much Echinacea tea or too many supplements so the laxative effect doesn’t become a problem. The recommended dosage on the bottle should be followed unless your doctor recommends something else.
- Has Anti-Inflammatory Effects – Most illnesses usually have inflammation at the foundational level so having natural anti-inflammatory effects is a definite plus for those who take Echinacea on a regular basis. If you suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, adding Echinacea to your daily routine can have a very positive and helpful effect.
- Helps Improve the Skin – Echinacea has many positive effects on the skin. It has been successfully used to treat eczema, psoriasis, skin infections, stings, and helps with wound healing as well.
- Improves Mental Health – Echinacea angustifolia has been recommended for treating specific ailments that are related to ADD and ADHD. Those who have ADD/ADHD are susceptible to emotional issues such as social phobias, anxiety and depression. It has been suggested that taking 20 milligrams a day can be very beneficial but no more than 20 milligrams a day. If this is something you want to try be certain to get your doctor’s okay first.
Helps Upper Respiratory Problems – The following upper respiratory symptoms have been shown to be helped by taking Echinacea in the supplement form:
- All types of flu
- Common colds
- Whooping Cough
- Strep throat
Helps Fight Infections – There are a ton of infections that Echinacea can help treat. In conjunction with medication, studies have shown that it can lower the rate of reoccurring infections by as much as 16%. Infections that taking Echinacea can help with include:
- Gum Disease
- Bloodstream infections
- Vaginal Yeast Infections
Common Side Effects of Echinacea
The side effects that can be present when taking Echinacea are almost always due to taking too much of this beneficial supplement. Some of the side effects that you may experience could be dizziness and nausea, especially if you suffer from allergies.
If you notice any unusual side effects, talk to your doctor to see if it could be the dosage. Taking more than the recommended amount does not increase the benefits but it can upset your stomach. Read the bottle’s dosage recommendations and talk to your doctor if there is any question about you needing a different dosage amount.
There are some more severe side effects that have been associated with taking Echinacea injections so do not get your Echinacea this way unless you are under the supervision of a doctor. Choosing Echinacea supplements that are the purest possible with no added fillers or pesticides can lower the chances of experiencing any side effects when taking it.
If you want to find a supplement that can help boost your immune system as well as a host of other benefits, add Echinacea to your daily routine. It is a powerful supplement that works to prevent illnesses such as the common cold and flu and can improve many other system functions as well.
The three top rated Echinacea supplements we have featured here are all from companies that are well known and respected for their quality products. The buyer’s guide provides you with information on the benefits you can expect from taking this supplement and what to watch out for as well.
If you are taking any medications for any conditions it is always better to talk with your doctor before adding any supplements to your regimen. Fortunately, Echinacea is a supplement that has very few side effects that are not caused by too high of a dose. There are Echinacea supplements for adults and kids can take it too although you will need to follow the dosage instructions carefully when giving to children to make sure they can take it, especially if they have a lot of allergies.
- NOW – https://www.nowfoods.com/
- Gaia – http://www.gaiaherbs.com/
- Nature’s Way – http://www.naturesway.com/