Color Laser Printer Reviews
Color laser printers are more expensive than inkjet, but they are more efficient when it comes to printing and you will get a lot more pages out of a cartridge than you will with inkjet printing.
When choosing the right color laser printer for your needs, there are several things that need to be considered to make sure you get the one that will provide the features and abilities you need.
1. Brother MFC-L8610CDW
Best Overall Color Laser Printer
5/5 Product Rating
This Brother MFC-L8610CDW Color Laser Printer has print speeds of up to 33 ppm in both color and black so waiting for important documents are a thing of the past.
The unit also scans both sides of a page at once in a single pass for two sided copying, faxing and scanning that is fast and efficient.
Other features include a 250 sheet capacity tray that can be adjusted for letter or legal sized papers. There is also a 50 sheet capacity multi-purpose tray and an optional 250 sheet capacity tray that is available for extra capacity that is sold separately. The 50 page capacity, auto document feeder makes copying, scanning or faxing multi-page documents
The Brother MFC-L8610CDW has an array of security features as well including secure print, secure Function Lock, SSL, Enterprise Security, and network user authentication. There is also a corporate email address lookup via the Active Directory.
– Darius Spieth
2. HP M252dw
Best Overall Color Laser Printer – Runner Up
4.8/5 Product Rating
One of the features of this unit is that it is considered Best in class on the first page out capability which means that it is fastest as waking up from sleeping mode and printing the first page.
You will be able to print from a variety of smartphones and other devices and there is almost no setup or apps required.
The print speed on this HP Color Laser Printer is up to 19 ppm for both black and color. The recommended monthly page volume it can handle is up to 2500 pages. The 800 MHz processor provides plenty of page printing power. The 150 – sheet input tray can be adjusted to accept standard and legal sized documents. This product comes with a 1 year exchange warranty.
– Darius Spieth
3. Canon MF8280Cw
4.4/5 Product Rating
The imageCLASS MF8280Cw All-in-One Color Laser Printer is ready to handle 4 tasks in one great machine. It can copy, print, scan and fax from the same great printer.
It will print both color and black at a print speed of up to 14ppm. The quick first print is 18 seconds or less letting you get started printing as fast as possible.
imageCLASS has additional features including printing on the go, it’s easy to use, and has a front loading 150 sheet paper cassette. Reloading paper is a breeze. The 50 sheet automatic document feeder allows users to feed several pages at a time instead of only one at a time which saves time and energy.
The seven-line color LCD display allows for easy user navigation through the menu. The wide screen and display are very easy to read which makes completing your printing tasks super easy. The single cartridge system allows only one cartridge to be changed when the toner needs to be changed.
The wireless connectivity allows you to print from anywhere in your home or office and the mobile printing capability means you can print on the go as well. The built in Ethernet allows you to easily connect to a network when needed.
– Darius Spieth
A high quality color laser printer is a must for anyone that works a lot at home or that has their own business. Any one of the three top ranked choices featured above aide in helping you handle any work related printing tasks efficiently and easily.
Each one of the color laser printers has an array of features and fast printing speeds that enable you to get all your work done quickly and without stress and headache. They are easy to use and changing the printing cartridges.
Our buyer’s guide is filled with information on how to choose the best color laser printer for your needs. The right information will enable you to look at the selections you are interested in with confidence that you understand the features and capabilities that each unit offers.
4. Brother HL3170CDW
5. HP M277dw
6. Brother MFC9330CDW
7. Brother HL3140CW
8. HP M477fdw
9. Brother HL4570CDW
10. Brother HLL8350CDW
Color Laser Printer Buying Guide
Things to Consider
When it comes to choosing the right color laser printer for your home office or workplace, there are things that you need to consider. We have outlined the most common considerations that need to be made before you purchase a printer.
- Cost of Ownership – What this is referring to is not only the initial cost of the printer but what it costs on a regular basis to keep using it. Toner is the most recurring cost that you will have when you purchase a color laser printer. With color laser printer cartridges, you get far more printing than you do with inkjet printers. You want to find the printer that has a high yield of pages per cartridge.
- Speed – Printing speed is very important when you work in an office with a lot of others who need to use the printer as well. If you have a home office printing speed isn’t as important but you still want to find a color laser printer that prints at a steady rate. If you do a heavy amount of printing, it doesn’t matter whether your printer will be in a workplace or your home, you will want to get a high yield printer.
- Duty Cycle Rating – This refers to the number of pages that the printer can print in the course of a month. This isn’t a solid way to compare printers but it will give you an idea of the capability the printer has.
- Duplexing – Duplexing means that the printer can print on both sides of the paper automatically Some printers are duplex ready and some aren’t so you will need to check with the manufacturer specifically.
- Memory Capacity – Printer memory can and does vary from printer to printer. The more memory the printer has the faster it will go, even with a lot of documents in the queue. It is possible to purchase additional memory to boost capacity but it is more expensive than the standard computer memory.
- Media Support – If you print a variety of media make sure that you get a color laser printer with the ability to handle the different sizes of paper without problem.
Cleaning Your Color Laser Printer
Once you have chosen and purchased your color laser printer, you want to be certain that you take care of it so it continues to work properly. There are several tools that you will need to ensure you get the job done properly.
- Toner vacuum
- Toner cloth
- Cotton swabs
- Soft bristle paint brush
- Latex gloves
- 99% pure isopropyl alcohol
We’ve expanded a bit on the tool list so you properly understand how they are used and how they work to keep the color laser printer clean.
- Toner Vacuum – this vacuum is designed to trap the fine toner particles that regular household vacuums are not capable of filtering. Toner vacuums range in price and are well worth the investment for a company.
- Toner Cloth – When you are cleaning laser printers, a toner cloth is essential. It is a special cloth that attracts and traps the toner particles. Toner cloths are typically yellow in color and are slightly larger than 8 ½ x 11. The cloth is activated by gently stretching the slides. Tone cloths should never be used twice.
- Mask – You don’t want toner particles to enter your throat and lungs while you are cleaning so be sure to wear a protective mask while you are cleaning.
- Cotton Swabs – You can get regular cotton swabs or look for the 6” long varieties that are printer swabs.
- Isopropyl Alcohol (99% pure) – Do NOT use rubbing alcohol. That is not designed for cleaning electronics. Isopropyl alcohol evaporates and doesn’t leave any residue.
- ½”, Soft Bristle Paint Brush – You will be using the paint brush to brush the toner particles out from in between tight crevices. Pull out any loose paint brush bristles before using. Toothbrushes are not recommended.
- Latex Gloves – you want the latex gloves to fight on your hands tightly to maintain dexterity. You can get latex gloves in drugstores.
A few points to remember before getting started: do not use the toner cloth inside the printer because of the sharp points that can tear the cloth. This can cause fibers from the cloth to be left in the printer which can cause problems later.
- Unplug the power cable before starting any work on the printer.
- Put on the mask and gloves for your safety
- Gently remove the toner cartridge or bottle from the printer
- Use the toner cloth to wipe the toner cartridge. Place the cartridge on another activated toner cloth.
- Use the toner vacuum to remove any spilled toner from within the printer’s compartment. Try not to let the nozzle of the vacuum touch the printer’s internal surfaces
- Next take the paintbrush and remove toner from crevices. Use easy, light motions and vacuum as needed.
- If your printer has corona wires exposed do not vacuum them or use the brush on them.
- Breaking a corona wire can break your printer and cause expensive repair bills. Dip a cotton swab in the isopropyl alcohol and run it along the length of the wire including the underside. Don’t apply any pressure to the wire at all.
- Reinsert the toner cartridge, close the printer and reconnect the power cord.
Choosing the right color laser printer can go a long way towards increasing your productivity and efficiency when it comes to getting stuff printed. The right printer can make a big difference in the quality and quantity of your printed documents and other printed material.
When you research the different models of color laser printers, you will need to know what your needs are and also what you need to look for when comparing the different models.
The information in this buyer’s guide along with the reviews of the three top rated color laser printers will arm you with the knowledge you need to sort through all of the choices and make an informed decision on the right printer for your home office or work environment.
- Brother – http://www.brother-usa.com/
- HP – http://store.hp.com/us/en/
- Canon – http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog