Backpack Sprayer Reviews
Backpack sprayers can help you make fast and easy work of keeping your lawn, flowers and gardens healthy and thriving. It is most often used to take care of outdoor gardens and lawns as well as shrubs, but many people use backpack sprayers for other uses as well including cleaning the exterior of the home and cleaning garage floors and ceilings or even vehicles.
When you are looking for the right backpack sprayer for your needs, there are several accessories, options and features that you will want to consider before you purchase. The idea of a backpack sprayer is to make taking care of the tasks you are using it for much easier without putting extra strain on your body.
The information in this guide will help you look at all the factors involved in choosing the right backpack sprayer for your specific needs. Our objective is to make the purchasing process smooth and easy for you.
Best Overall Backpack Sprayer
5/5 Product Rating
The tank is translucent and has a 4” wide opening that makes filling and cleaning super easy.
This sprayer can be used with the fertilizers, pesticides and weed killers that are commonly used in today’s market.
This backpack sprayer has a 3 stage filtration system for optimal performance and features an in-tank filter that is removable for easy cleaning.
The padded shoulder straps help the wearer accommodate a full backpack for many hours without undue strain. The poly shut off has three nozzles so the user can choose from a variety of spraying applications and has a comfortable cushion grip.
The poly wand and brass nozzles are long lasting and durable. This backpack sprayer by Chapin is perfect for the professional landscaper but can be used easily by the homeowner as well.
– Sarah Lytle
Best Overall Backpack Sprayer – Runner Up
4.9/5 Product Rating
The piston pump is a high performance model that has the ability for higher pressure that can reach as high as 90 psi.
Users will become less fatigued during use thanks to the shut off valve that features a lock on/off capability and has commercial quality.
This long lasting and durable backpack sprayer has Viton seals that are in key places to ensure quality and long life. The switchable pump handle works for users whether they are left handed or right handed and the nylon reinforced hose features 48” of high pressure reach for optimum performance.
There are 4 nozzle choices that the user can choose from including hollow cone, jet stream, fan spray and adjustable. This item comes with a 1 year limited warranty to cover the high grade, corrosion resistant plastic that has no metal or rubber parts that can be extremely vulnerable to chemicals.
– Sarah Lytle
3. Field King
4.7/5 Product Rating
This professional grade backpack sprayer features a 21” poly wand that has high quality Viton seals for superior chemical resistance.
The lockable shut off features brass components, a comfort grip that reduces hand fatigue and has an in-line filter that reduces clogging. Seals can be changed out when needed, easily in minutes and no tools are needed.
There are 4 different nozzles included with this sprayer and include: a foaming nozzle, 2 flat fan nozzles and a brass adjustable nozzle. This item can also use TeeJet nozzles. The abilities of this sprayer rival a piston or diaphragm backpack sprayer.
This professional grade backpack sprayer can spray up to 150 psi and it features a pressure regulator that allows it to spray a continuous 25 psi which works well for spraying weed killers and herbicides. The built-in handle for easy carrying and a convenient wand storage as well.
The adjustable shoulder straps are padded for extra comfort during use as well as padded chest cinch strap and waist belt as well. It comes with 4 different nozzles for maximum convenience and a variety of spraying options. It accepts TeeJet nozzles as well.
– Sarah Lytle
Using a backpack sprayer to take care of lawns, flowers, shrubs and other tasks makes the whole process easier and more comfortable to handle. These three sprayers featured below are all high quality, professional grade backpack sprayers that can handle any spraying job whether for professional use or personal use.
Each one comes with a selection of spraying nozzles and they are compatible with TeeJet nozzles as well. The construction is made to last and is chemical resistant so they are durable and will be able to be used for a long time. Comfort is also a priority with these models, as is evident in the padded straps and comfort grip on the shut off.
To learn more about choosing the right backpack sprayer, read the following buyer’s guide. It has information that is beneficial to sorting through all the choices so you select the one that will work the best for your specific spraying needs.
4. Chapin 20000
5. Chapin 61900
6. Chapin 63985
7. Chapin 61700N
8. Chapin 61500
Backpack Sprayer Buying Guide
Things to Consider
There are several things that you will want to consider when searching for the right backpack sprayer for your needs. These considerations will help you sort through all of the choices so you select the one that is going to meet your needs the best.
- What will you be using it for? – Knowing what the primary use is for the backpack sprayer will determine which models are better suited for your needs. A good example of this is if you are going to be using a lot of oil-based products. If this is the case you would want to look for a sprayer that has seals, hoses and pumps that can resist oil based carriers. You want them to be durable and able to handle multiple applications.
- Manual or motorized sprayer? – If you are treating new infestations you will want to get a manual sprayer that offers a switchable handle that can be used with either the left or right hand. If you are going to be treating larger areas, you will want to opt for the motorized model so you don’t have to maintain pressure on the handle like you have to do with a manual sprayer. The drawbacks to motorized sprayers that you will need to take into consideration is the extra weight, extra cost and extra maintenance they require when compared to manual models. If you do choose the motorized model, look for a battery that can handle low and high psi output easily and that will work for at least 3-5 hours on one charge.
- Pump type – There are two types of pumps that a backpack sprayer will come with: a piston pump or a diaphragm pump. Piston pumps are the least expensive but don’t always work with all types of herbicides. The piston pump can wear out faster and need replacing if you are using dry herbicide formulations often. Diaphragm pumps are more durable with different herbicides and are easier to repair as well making them a more popular choice in general.
- Safety considerations and comfort – Things like a spray wand grip and pumps that are full sized are features that help reduce fatigue when using the backpack sprayer. Other helpful features include adjustable padded straps that are resistant to chemicals. Contoured tanks provide a better fit for the user as well. You can purchase another harness if you like certain features of a sprayer but don’t like how the harness fits. You also want to look for sprayers that have Viton rubber seals that resist softening and swelling due to the chemicals which can cause leakage and pump breakdown.
- Spray Wand – A good quality spray wand will not be prone to leaks and is very important for user comfort and accurate application of the chemicals that you need to apply to your trees, shrubs and other things. You also want to look for sprayers that accept TeeJet nozzles which give you a huge assortment of professional grade tips from local suppliers.
- Nozzle Selection – There are many different types of nozzles but the most commonly used are the cone, fan, direct stream, and adjustable. The type of nozzle you are using affect’s the pressure output as well as the size of the area that you are able to spray. Nozzles also affect the type of spray, ranging from a fine mist to a steady stream. Pay attention to the material a nozzle is made from. Plastic nozzles are going to be the least expensive but usually degrade over time. Nozzles made from bronze, brass, or nickel are more expensive but these nozzles last for years which make them worth the extra upfront cost.
- Warranties – Warranties are very important to the longevity of your sprayer. Eventually things will wear out and you want a good warranty in place to cover defects. Most warranties do not cover wear and tear so if you are able to find a warranty that covers anything besides manufacturer’s defects, jump on it. Check to see if the company offers accessory kits that include things like nozzles, hoses, O rings, valves and other parts that will need replacing at some point.
- Durability and Easy Repair – Look for backpack sprayers that are constructed from high-density polyethylene along with UV protection. Make sure the hoses, accessories and seals are rated to handle additives and herbicides. You also want to make sure it is easy to find replacement parts when needed.
There are some additional accessories that you might want to consider adding to your backpack sprayer to make it even better and easier to use.
- Shut off mechanism at the tip – This is a great feature that can be added to the existing factory wand. This feature gets rid of unwanted dripping of chemicals.
- Wand Extensions – You can purchase wand extensions that are either curved or straight and that measure up to 48”. The longer wands extend your reach which makes the work is easier.
- Pressure Regulator – This device can be added to the spray wand and helps to maintain a constant spray pressure. It allows for a more consistent application and prevents problematic pressure spikes and product drifts.
- Quick Couplers – These handy little accessories allow the spray wand to be removed quickly so storage and transporting the backpack sprayer is much easier.
- Improved and Better Harnesses – A good quality harness that is adjustable with padded shoulder, chest and waist straps as well as waterproof pads to prevent the chemicals from getting on the user are all excellent qualities for a harness to have.
A backpack sprayer is a convenient and useful item to have around so you can grow a successful garden, shrubs or trees. You are the one that can determine which model is going to be the best for your specific needs.
This guide is designed in a way that you have the information you need on what to consider and how to choose which one will be the best.
When you are going over the different features, tips and options don’t forget to think about how much pressure you want in the tank, how big the tank needs to be, the length of sprayer hose you want and how easy replacement parts are to find.
Purchasing the right backpack sprayer is a big decision that when chosen correctly, saves you time, money and improves the quality of your lawn, trees, shrubs, flowers and anything else you want to grow.
- Chapin – https://chapinmfg.com/
- Solo – http://solousa.com/index.htm
- Field King – http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/