Apple AirPort Extreme Dual-Band Review
The Apple AirPort is always said to be the preferred option for MAC users. Its appealing design gives it a more decorative purpose than most routers. Operating at a Wi-Fi standard of 802.11ac the AirPort Extreme’s performance is much faster than the previous models although its functions and features remain the same as its past models. Like its predecessors it is very easy to setup and based on its dual-band support the AirPort Extreme can run both its 2.5 GHz band and its 5GHz band at once which is said to measure up to 1.3Gbps in network speed and it can automatically connect the clients to the fastest available signal at the time.
Buyers of the AirPort should be aware of the following
The AirPort Extreme comes with three gigabit LAN ports and a single Gigabit WAN port which you can use for a separate modem. It also carries a 2.0 USB port which can be used to connect an external hard-drive for storage purposes because the AirPort Extreme does not have internal storage. This router, unlike other recent routers, lacks a 3.0 USB port.
The AirPort Extreme has a problem with flexibility, although you can block a client’s internet access using the client’s MAC address, it must be typed out manually and therefore quite difficult to add devices to the block list. It lacks features like web filtering which allows access to certain websites to be blocked or denies access with the use of keywords. This feature is vital to the proper management of the network as a whole.
It also offers a group of standard router features such as port forwarding, IPv6, Access control file-sharing, but lacks important features like Traffic prioritization, QoS configurations, VPN server and parental control.
It’s Guest Networking feature is a plus as it permits the setup of a network very separate from the main access point. It also has three Ethernet ports which permit you to plug a computer without wireless access into a local network allowing for quick and easy file transfers.
It has dual-band frequency that can operate simultaneously
- The router has three Ethernet ports
- It has a USB
- It can accommodate up to 50 users
- The router has a DHCP server
- It features a Network Address Translation (NAT) and a VPN passthrough
- It is a dual-band wireless router with draft 11ac
- It has 1300 + 450 nominal speed rating
How to set up the Apple AirPort
- Setup the router and plug it into a power supply and your internet connection.
- Open an internet browser and insert http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1547 in the address bar
- Download the AirPort Utility
- After Downloading it run the application
- Create a user admin account and password
- Make necessary configurations
The Apple AirPort Extreme has a one-year limited warranty
Who is it the AirPort made for?
The AirPort Extreme is said to be extremely beneficial for MAC users as both devices are compatible and its Wi-Fi speed performance would be enjoyed most with 802.11ac compatible Apple devices. The Wi-Fi speed of the AirPort Extreme, the design and also its user-friendly nature, would also make this device suitable for a household.
- Buy a Wireless Routers from Amazon
- Best Wireless Router for Solid Performance and Easy Setup – the Netgear Nighthawk AC2300
- Best Performance Router but Hard to Configure – the Asus AC3200
- Best Router for Long Range – the Netgear Nighthawk AC1750
What We Liked
- The router has an attractive design
- It has a Decent size
- It is easy to operate
- It is fast and easy to set-up
- It has 802.11ac Wi-Fi support
- It has dual-Band support
What We Didn’t Like
- There’s little innovation from its predecessors
- It does not have internal storage
- It lacks key features like parental control, VPN server, traffic prioritization and QoS configuration
- You might have difficulties in adding clients to the block list
Apart from its innovative design, dual-band support and 802.11ac compatibility, the Apple AirPort Extreme is no different from its predecessors. It also lacks features that you would expect from a router of this price. But for all its inflexibilities and missing features, its user-friendly nature and relatively great speed performance and also its decorative design make it a pleasant device for the home.
50,473 total views, 7 views today