When Should I Begin Using Baby Carriers?
Carrier slings are made for newborns to use, but other carriers are best for babies who are at least 4 months old (source). The reason for that is that some carriers don’t have enough head support for babies. That means babies have to be capable of holding up their heads before they are put in some carriers.
I didn’t feel safe using a baby carrier when my child was a newborn because I was worried that the sling carriers many of my friends used would suffocate my baby. Sometimes the fabric would completely seem to cover their faces and I wondered how they were getting any air in there at all.
As my baby grew stronger and bigger, I still didn’t buy a carrier because I felt guilty about spending money on something that I could technically accomplish with my own two hands.
But after the birth of my second baby, I received a hand-me-down carrier from a friend who no longer needed it. I wasn’t expecting to love it as much as I did. It felt like it opened up a whole new world. Suddenly, I could wear my baby and do things with my hands at the same time.
My arms and shoulders no longer had that dull, achy feeling from carting my baby around too long. I felt more comfortable, was accomplishing more and still got to have my baby right next to me. It was a total win.
What Are The Different Kinds of Carriers?
These are the five main types of carriers you’ll come across:
- Wraps: Wraps come in a bunch of different fabrics and can be used in a variety of positions. They are very versatile, but they can be intimidating to learn how to do at first. With a little practice, you’ll have it down in no time.
- Ring slings: Ring slings are quick and simple to use. They are basically a long piece of fabric that is secured by rings made out of hard material like metal.
- Pouch slings: Pouch slings are similar to ring slings, but they can’t be adjusted as easily as ring slings are. When using this type, you have to make sure they fit correctly to ensure your child’s safety. They are inexpensive compared to other types of carriers and don’t take up much room in a diaper bag or purse.
- Mei tais: Mei tais have a fabric piece with four straps — two for the waist and two for the shoulders. The straps are really wide to make sure that they are comfortable for the mom.
- Buckled or structured carriers: These include ones that go on your chest and the baby backpacks you see some people wearing. These are easy to use and are ergonomically correct for their babies.
How Many Baby Carriers Do I Need?
If you’re the only one using the carrier, you only need to have one. But if you have a partner who also wants to use a carrier, you may want to have two — one for them and one for you.
If you share, you’ll have to constantly adjust the carrier to find a great fit for each of you. Plus, you may not like the style of the carrier your partner chooses and they may not like the one you pick.
If you are going to share a carrier, you’ll want to find a good unisex option so it won’t be too girly or too masculine.
What Features Should a Baby Carrier Have?
While they may look deceptively simple, baby carriers are actually well-thought out, right down to the ergonomics. To avoid buying a product that does your baby more harm than good, you should look over this list of what to look for in a good baby carrier.
- Safety: You don’t want to end up hurting your baby’s hips or back with a poorly-selected carrier. For infants, you should avoid narrow-based carriers that allow your child’s legs to hang straight down without any support (source). You’re better off finding a carrier that has a wide seat that gives leg support to your child.
- Whether you want long-term use: You don’t have to settle for carriers that will only see your child through one phase of their life. Many carriers offer multiple positions, like both forward or rear facing so as your child becomes ready for the next phase, you don’t have to purchase a new carrier. Some carriers can accommodate all the way up to 40 pounds.
- Durability: Remember that old saying that you get what you pay for? It’s worth remembering when you go baby carrier shopping. Really cheap carriers may not hold up well when it comes to the zippers, velcro, and stitching.
- How comfortable they are: Both you and your baby need to be comfortable when you’re using a baby carrier. You’ll want a breathable fabric that won’t have you both sweating up a storm. You’ll want enough padding to be comfy and you won’t want any zippers or velcro strips rubbing you both raw.
- How easy they are to use: You may find the most comfortable and affordable baby carrier on the market, but if it’s too complicated to use, it will be worthless. You won’t use it if trying to put it on leaves you fighting tears of frustration — that may sound dramatic, but as a new mom, your hormones and sleep deprivation will have your emotions all over the place.
- Price: Baby carriers come in a wide range of prices. While you need to keep an eye on saving as much money as you can as a new parent, you also shouldn’t skimp on quality because that can cost you more in the long run.
Designed for transporting and breastfeeding babies on the go, AmazingStuffForYou! Baby Wrap is a valuable sling accessory that has earned a permanent spot in most top 10 best baby wraps in 2017 reviews for several reasons. The natural fabric (95% cotton and 5% spandex) used to manufacture it, for instance, is durable, breathable, and maximizes the comfort of occupants.When doing household chores, for instance, you do not have to leave your baby unattended nor delegate parenting roles to your other children. When exploring the outdoors, on the other hand, you will have your baby as close to you as possible and even interact as needed to strengthen the bond. Because of its long single-piece design, this wrap is easy to set up. It fits securely and comfortable and has an irritant-free machine-washable design that works perfectly for both petite and plus sized nursing mothers.
Considered among the best products in this category, this #1 Style child carrier by SnuggBugg is an affordable four in one baby wrap with an aesthetic grey theme that does not fade nor lose its aesthetic appeal over time. Its well-built sling design secures and keeps babies as close as possible to parents.It also orients babies well for optimal comfort, distributes weight over a large area to lower stress and stress, and has a long single piece construction with no buckles, hooks, and other physical irritants common in comparable models. When in use, therefore, you do not have to worry about it scratching your baby or compromising his or her physical and or psychological wellness in any way. Preferred by celebrities such as Gwen Stefani and Jessica Alba, its ease of use and the unmatched comfort it offers has made it a sought-after product worldwide. You get a 30-day return warranty.
Manufactured using 90% cotton and 10% rayon fabrics, Innoo Tech baby sling is breathable baby wrap carrier that is perfect for transporting babies weighing up to 35% pounds. It is USA-made, durable, and has a well-finished design that does not irritate babies nor lower their overall experience in all environments.
A sought-after product by mothers worldwide, Mo+m Baby Wrap is a light and easy to use baby sling wrap made of a 95% cotton and 5% spandex fabric. The material is durable, stretches to accommodate babies of various sizes, and has an advanced four-in-one design that boosts its versatility. When exploring the outdoors, for instance, you can wear its front facing inwards to support your baby well and be able to interact with him or her when on your outdoor escapades.You can also wear it front facing outwards, use it as a rucksack sling, and or use it around your hip without compromising comfort and or safety of your bundle of joy. This baby wrap lacks irritant seams and or harsh chemicals. It is easy to wear and remove, has a versatile five-meter design, and supports up to 35 pounds safely.
For those shopping for baby slings for everyday usage, KM Simple Baby is a stylish black-themed wrap carrier, made of a light, portable, and durable 95% cotton and 5% spandex fabric. The fabric is durable, stretches to accommodate babies well, and offers sufficient coverage that women need when breastfeeding outdoors.
Unlike in the past, you no longer have to hide your vehicle, look for a secluded spot, or express breast milk into bottles to feed your bundle of joy outdoors. You can wear it in several orientations without compromising safety and or comfort levels of your baby in any way. It is also affordable, frees the hands to promote multi-tasking, and comes with detailed instructions on how to tie and use safely. You also get 100-day money back guarantee from KM Simple Baby for an original.
Haul’A Baby is a slate-themed four-in-one baby wrap that doubles as a belly binder and a maternity belt. It is durable, made of a lightweight and breathable cotton fabric, and has a buckle and hook-free design that guarantees all-day comfort indoors and outdoors. With it, you can breastfeed with ease. You can also do your household chores as usual and secure your baby to your chest or back when exploring the outdoors.If you do not have sufficient funds to spend on a new stroller or baby bag, this wrap is affordable. It is also easier to maintain, works well in all environments, and has a stretch design that not only grows with babies but also enables mothers to create a lasting bond with their babies from a young age. You get a 30-day money back satisfaction guarantee for an original.
Belephant is a grey-themed wrap sling carrier for babies designed to support up to 35 pounds safely and comfortable. The 95% cotton and 5% spandex fabric used to manufacture it is professional-grade. Its light and portable construction make it perfect for everyday travel, while its stretchy yet sturdy design is versatile design and supports multiple uses. This is that versatile baby wrap that you’ve been looking for. If you have a small baby that you like carrying with you, this sling offers better coverage for breastfeeding.It also works as an excellent sling carrier and a swaddle for infants and toddlers and comes with detailed step-by-step instruction for a setup that eliminates guesswork. As most slings wrap reviewed on this list, Belephant Baby Wrap Sling Carrier is affordable, benefits parents of all cadres, and comes backed by a lifetime warranty.
Durable, grey-themed, and manufactured using a comfortable cotton-based fabric (95% cotton and 5% spandex), Funki Flamingo is a premium baby wrap with a light and portable design that works as an excellent sling and carrier both outdoors and indoors. It is affordable, has a practical system that supports multitasking, and has a safe and irritant-free construction that supports up to 35 pounds.When in use, therefore, your baby will stay safe and comfortable. By bringing him or her close to your chest, it also promotes a stronger familial bond and minimizes the stress that babies often grapple with in transit. Funki Flamingo Premium Baby Wrap is very easy to use, easy to maintain, and comes backed by a 100% money back guarantee and a lifetime infinity replacement warranty from the manufacturer.
CuddleBug for babies is a soft sling-type carrier that is perfect for transportation and providing nursing cover outdoors. It is durable, has a striking grey theme, and is made of a soft and breathable cotton-based fabric that wraps tight to guarantee safety and comfort. Its cuddly design is also developmentally priceless, while its wide single-piece construction doubles as an excellent changing blanket, pram cover, and cleaning blanket. You also get a 30-day money back guarantee, a lifetime replacement guarantee, and a stylish gift box.
1. Boba Baby Wrap – #1 BestSeller
Talking about baby wraps, this grey-themed model by Boba tops our list of the best. It is durable, manufactured using a breathable 95% cotton and 5% spandex fabric, and has a versatile design that works well in both front and infant hold orientations. Its single-piece design holds up to 35 pounds, lacks buckles and closures that can irritate or harm your baby over time, and frees the hands of parents with household chores and or those that like to interact with their babies in transit. All seams are flat and well finished. The greater coverage it offers makes it an ideal breastfeeding accessory while its ease of use and machine-washable design makes it an ideal everyday wrap.
144,626 total views, 87 views today