Asus RT-AC3200 – Tri-Band Wireless Gigabit Router
What does the Asus Tri-Band Router Do?
The Asus RT-AC3200 Tri-Band router can host three networks simultaneously; two 5GHz access points running at 1300 Mbps connection speeds and a single 2.4GHz running at connection speeds of 600Mbps. It utilizes Broadcom’s XStream which is said to permit the device to fit in an increased total throughput out of some 5GHz compatible devices.
Since this is a gaming router, you might want to check our Best Gaming Routers review as well before proceeding.
Specifications of the Asus Tri-band router
- The router is IPv6 Compatible
- It comes with 4 Wired LAN Ports (Excluding WAN Port)
- It has a parental control feature and quality of service.
- The security options available include WEP, WPA, WP2, WPS, WPA2-Enterprise, 802.1x authentication and RADIUS server.
- The wireless specifications is 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Frequency bands available include the 2.4 GHz (one band) and the 5 GHz (2 bands)
- The router can accommodate nine guest networks.
- It has a width of 7.4 inches and weighs 2.25 lbs.
How to set up your Asus Tri-band router
First, fix in all the individually packaged antennae to the device, and after fixing up the Asus RT-AC3200 device, it is necessary to use the internal IP address to log into it.
The RT-AC3200 uses a web-based interface for its configurations so any web browser would suffice in this setup. Put in the IP address in the search bar of your web browser and after you proceed you will see a username and password login page, use the default ones provided to access the Asus web interface.
You should see the Asus RT-AC3200 management console. Use a wired connection for the setup process to avoid any installation issues. You should also ensure you disconnect any previous routers from the network before starting the installation. The Smart Connect feature should set up the network connection bands automatically, but you can also set up the individual network bands manually to suit your needs
- The Asus RT-AC3200 has a two-year warranty
Who is the RT-AC3200 made for?
- The RT- AC3200 is a gaming router, but you can use it in the office and at home for high-end leisure streaming or intense data work.
The Asus Tri-band router has the following features
The Asus RT-AC3200 has included the Adaptive QoS (Quality of Service) which allows the allocation of bandwidth to applications like video streaming while giving the option to monitor upload and downloads, its speeds and general traffic information of client utilization displayed in a graph. The QoS is an excellent way to prioritize your applications and limit the use of applications that hog bandwidths.
Another added feature is the AiProtection, it identifies malware and helps protect the network from viruses and insidious sites. The parental control feature also helps especially with filtering what is being streamed and also scheduling when certain sites can be accessed. The feature can be helpful for people who have kids connected to the network. The Aiprotection feature for the router uses Trend Micro’s Smart Home Network.
With RT-AC3200 the three networks could be changed to a single SSID with the Tri-Band Smart Connect feature. This allows, based on their range, the different clients to be allocated to the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz access points, therefore, pairing the fastest network band to each device based on the speed of the device and other information. It also uses Beamforming technology to produce strong signals to each of the clients.
It will also help to know that the RT-AC3200 supports the use of a dual WAN allowing you to use one WAN connection as secondary while having a primary WAN connection active.
What We Liked
- the router is capable of producing high-level storage throughput
- it has a Smart Connect feature which enhances performance
- the router features OpenVPN and PPTP servers
- The QoS has monitoring capabilities
- it comes with Excellent and useful software and tools
- the router comes with High-end protective capabilities courtesy of the AiProtection features.
What We Didn’t Like
- The router occasionally disconnects due to SmartConnect frequent change of connections
- The documentation is poor
- The device is expensive
- It also has an unsatisfactory 5GHz performance from the second band
- The router has a Bulky design
- It comes with a Single USB 3.0 port
Although the Asus RT-AC3200 Tri-Band router is expensive, wanting in its complex file transfer and with its second 5GHz band performance, it is a powerful device with a couple of useful features.
Still unsure about this Router?
Check out our Best Routers Reviews here on the site
55,039 total views, 3 views today